Club Med Sonora Bay

G.O's - News -

What a shame it is no more

rsteinrostaing
2 Posts
Feb
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
such a pity that they let this one go. as a GO there in 97 (I think) and even though for just a few months I thought it was the best run and most fun club I had been to as GM or GO. Mike was the Chef and the feeling there was one I am fortunate to be able to remember and hopfeully keep with me for a very long time. keep smiling
Please login or register to reply
scubajamie
13 Posts
Feb
I agree. It was one of my favorite places in the world. Mike Coltman was my favorite CDV! That man loved what he did and the people that worked for him as well. Very much "Old School Club Med". What a mistake to sell it. Poor marketing is all. Hell, Phoenix AZ (millions of people) was only 500 miles away but, no one knew about it!
LadyDiver
5 Posts
Feb
I too agree it's a pity. Besides, where else can you play underwater "chicken" with sea lions? (it's my fondest memory of Sonora)

Barb
pinky
283 Posts
Jul
hmmmm,i guess no one remembers the unbearable,sweaty heat in the summer,freezing cold in spring and autumn,the killer bloom of man o wars..and the terrific storms (the disco was under 3 feet of water one time...every one turned up with mask and snorkel)..still,i had a good time,and a good team,and c de v...only problem was my scuba team...with their brains in their genitals

pinky
pinky
283 Posts
Jul
i was there in 94..cdev was pirrot chiquerille ``la tendress``..the best thing i saw there,was on coming back from seal island..there was allways the cry of ``dolphin`` even when there was none..but this time..we cut the engines and just drifted..it must have been migration season..thousands,as far as the eye could see..all around..unbeleivable!!!

pinky
Soldier of Fun
34 Posts
Jan
quote:
Originally posted by pinky

hmmmm,i guess no one remembers the unbearable,sweaty heat in the summer,freezing cold in spring and autumn,the killer bloom of man o wars..and the terrific storms (the disco was under 3 feet of water one time...every one turned up with mask and snorkel)..still,i had a good time,and a good team,and c de v...only problem was my scuba team...with their brains in their genitals

pinky

LOL so true Pinky! But I didn't mind the sweating. And doesn't every one working at CM have their brains in their genitals?

But too bad it is closed - it was my 1st Village in 88 so it will always have a sweet spot in my heart!

Anyone remember "Cock Rock" / "Penis Point"? Heheh anyone hear the story of a few GO's at the end of their season climbing that rock and hanging a king-size white sheet at the tip? If you did, I was part of that group. The animator Max, actually scaled the last 50ft to hang the sheet: He was like a monkey!

GO JOE - Soldier of Fun
"Never tell the Chief of the Village you have nothing to do."
Nightshade
879 Posts
Jan
got a great photo of Penis point hahaha did 2 seasons there one winter and one summer (I think I did the last winter season or second to last) it was pretty cold use to make runs to the states for warm clothes) Man chicken with the seals was the best so much fun so much crazinest
pinky
283 Posts
Jan
lefis does not work for cm anymore...and yes,i remember the storiies about the sheet on penis point.....and no,not all of us had our brains in our genitals!!!..it was sooo cold at the end of the season,we were walking around with blankets around us!!!bitter cold

pinky
NMiller
8 Posts
Mar
Sonora was my favorite village. I spent almost two years. In a small way it will always be 'home' for me.

Ahhhh, the infamous rock. I don't know how many people are aware of this, but if you go to the other side of 'cock rock', it has a striking resemblance to Abe Lincoln.
Is God trying to tell us something?!!! A history lesson you just can't learn in school.
tommyb061
157 Posts
Jun
Last time I saw "Sonny" was at Huatulco in '94

Sonora Bay was great -- we last went in June '93, there were lots of old GO friends still there (John P., Hammer and Julie etc.) and not a big crown so the twenty of us had single rooms at no extra cost. I remember the sand being so hot on the feet we'd wear socks to walk around. They had a great tennis team too. There were definately some photo ops there. Good village that was poorly promoted.

"Anybody got an extra yellow?"
nauta_convs
50 Posts
Jul
Wow! I was there in 16 years ago... with Merediu I was only 17 and went aupair. I was at the windsurf and sailing team with Pepe. It was the first season Sonora Bay closed for the winter. I had so many good experiences. I really miss CM!
Nightshade
879 Posts
Jul
Nauta_convs what year were you there I was there with Peppe in winter of "86 and 87" just ran into him in cancun had a blast going through our dim memories. what team where you and was the chef of Sports Kent Smith?

"Where Are We Going And Why Am I In This Handbasket?"
nauta_convs
50 Posts
Jul
I was there on the summer of 89 actually it was the first time club med closed for the winter season so we stayed untill november. The CDS was Jose who loved to sing and play guitar (In fact, he was great) I started working there when I was only 17 and on my 18 birthday Merediu CDV came over all worried cause I was working underage... Then he said well now you are 18! I think they all saw me kind of the pet project, but I had a great time!
Nightshade
879 Posts
Jul
HAhaha I was almost 17 when I started had my 18th birthday in Sonora to I actually got out of school when I was 16 and a half and got hired at Paradise Island. it was so much fun hard work but a great time.

nauta_convs
50 Posts
Jul
Yes they where great times indeed!
tommyb061
157 Posts
Jul
Kenton "Skippy" was CDV at Playa Blanca in '95 -- heck of a volleyball player...

I remember Jose singing in front of the disco at Huatulco, hey anybody remember "Billy And His Guitar"? Last time I saw him he was trying to win the heart of his ex girlfriend back... lol...

"Anybody got an extra yellow?"
Nightshade
879 Posts
Jul
yep kent taught me how to play volley ball heheheh Skippy huh cute nickname for a CDV hehehe anyone know what happened to kent?
BTW he was my CDV in Playa too.

nauta_convs
50 Posts
Jul
Yo where there when Jose was at Huatulco? I had so many nice memories cause he also was CDS at Sonora so I heard him for quite some times aswell

Best regards.
ErinB
3 Posts
Aug
I went to Sanora Bay 3 times maybe 4, only flew once. It is an easy drive fro CA!! It was by far my favorite club, so chill!! I am so sad they sold it because it was always my dream to work there since I was like 9 when Gecko, Fergy, and Chris showed me how much fun it was. When I was older and went back I meet Tony (scuba), pooh, Zeb and so many others that made my vacation the best. The GO's are truely who make a CM vacation, and the GO's at Sanora were the best. A close second is the water ski team at Cancun!(dave, matt, shannon etc)
chrisbo
538 Posts
Sep
[quote]Originally posted by nauta_convs

I was there on the summer of 89 actually it was the first time club med closed for the winter season so we stayed untill november. The CDS was Jose who loved to sing and play guitar (In fact, he was great) I started working there when I was only 17 and on my 18 birthday Merediu CDV came over all worried cause I was working underage... Then he said well now you are 18! I think they all saw me kind of the pet project, but I had a great time!

[quote]

We were there in 89 too for bastille day with Mirdieu (CdV) and really had a great time. We went back there in 93 (Aureo Stern) and 2001 (Luke Neale). It's a real pity that Sonora Bay is gone.
nauta_convs
50 Posts
Sep
That was one of the best events ever in my GO life!
Was great to go and take the waterski duck! With flour and water balloons! Was great all of us in french costumes... What a day!
That was fun, ah?
Sofia Segovia
7 Posts
Dec
I know what you mean guys, it was an awesome place...Luckily I have some videos that I watch from time to time from my season there in 2000. Check out what it looks like now under this website: WWW.grupoparadiso.com
mis2810
74 Posts
Dec
Sofia - it doesn't look like it's changed much at all. I'd have a really hard time staying there though. Doubt I could do it. It just wouldn't be the same.
strapstrapper
22 Posts
Feb
Gabriella (boutique?) and Bono (Tennis),

I was there with Lefis and Spanky chef du Bar.
The only Canadian behind the Bar.
Rafael and Ernesto among others.

What an impossible way to go for what was one of Club Med's most beautifull destination in the zone. Hard to get to from the east coast btu nothing like the 3 hour bus ride to Playa Blanca. As a GM and a GO and then an XGO I can only say that it is the best place in my heart.

Sand Piper, Playa Blanca, Eleuthera, Sonora Bay, Turks and Caicos, Columbus Island, Paradise Island, Cancun and Cuba. The winner every time is Sonora (It did help that the women look at a dick all day long and longed for one all night long).

Adios,
Eric del bar.
starstuff71
3 Posts
Apr
Sonora Bay was my first village as a GO. This place holds a special place in my heart.

My memories are vivid and fond. Living in the desert, on the sea, by the mountains...incredible.

Pirrot Chiquerille CDV...Jay, Trevor, Aldo, Shannon, Kiki, Freddy, Lobo, Ryan, Michel, Pinky, Octavio, William (Duke), Paco, Uncle Larry et al...thank you all (including GM's) for the incredible memories.
Bari
3 Posts
Dec
I'm reading all of the messages about the closed Club Med villages....so sad.... Of the five that I have been to (Moorea & Bora Bora, Playa Blanca, Sonora Bay and Turks & Caicos), my least favorite is the one that is still open (T&C). One of the forum postings talked about the "old" club med.....and how it still exists in some of the European villages....I loved the informality and that it was appropriate for any number of different groups (I was at Moorea first with my parents in 1968, then with my husband and finally with my kids and parents in 1996). Sonora Bay was also a favorite (1994), especially as a diver getting to play with the seals. Playa Blanca was a bit austere, especially with a big winter storm, but it was a fine place to spend Christmas in 1989. ....and then Turks and Caicos.....it is lovely, but had too much of the feel of a "swinging" resort for me. It was hard not to be there as a couple (whether you came with someone of not). So....where do you suggest these days?
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Dec
Bari,
If you have a lot of miles on one of the airlines, you might want to try one of the Asian clubs. Most recently I have been to Cherating in Malaysia. That definitely had an old CM feel to it. Now that could have been due to the fantastic CDV and GO team. You might also think about Phuket, now that it has settled down politically. Yesterday, I just received an email from a GO there and she says that things are getting back to normal. I have also been to Lindeman and Bali. You will find that the Asian clubs are physically much more beautiful than any in the American zone, and the food is extraordinary. I can't speak highly enough about the locals in Thailand and Malaysia. They treated me like I was a member of the family. Wonderful people.

John
applmar
5 Posts
Apr
I was there in 1988. Met a nice guy named Bob from San Bernandino, CA. Me and my girlfriends had fun. If nyone has digital pictures to share that would be great, i only got print outs.

M

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 10/23/2024 at 10:15:40 AM