Home of a whole lot of Club Med information since 2003
Club Med Ski - Snow

News

beware of bulletin boards devoted to extreme ski

montreal
14 Posts
Jun
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
The following is a copy of a post that I made in the general area above. Since it deals particularly with the sport of skiing, I am repeating it again.

It's called TROLLING, and I unknowing did it this week. I dropped into a bulletin board devoted to the lovers of extreme skiing with the goal of asking their members if the type of ski experience that is easily obtained at the Club Med villages in the French Alps, could also be found in North America.

My 34 weeks spent at the different Club Med villages in France over the last 17 years has limited my appreciation of other skiing opportunities closer to home. This had prompted me to seek out internet forums which focused on powder skiing.

Since many of this particular board's members are devoted to a romanticised bohemian skiing lifestyle as well as their particular territory (Western North America), any discussion which casually referred to my loyality to Club Med was met with acrimony.

It would appear that any strangers on their bulletin board raising any of the following subjects may be met with an insulting response:

1) France,
2) Club Med,
3) "cookie cutter all inclusive vacation packages",
4) comparing skiing in the Rockies to the skiing that occurs elsewhere in the world.
5) the quality of the ski instructors at Club Med

So I hope that my unfortunate experience helps others to be aware that Club Med members are an identifiable minority who can be vulnerable to insult by other people in the world who have an intolerance when their particular sporting passion gets associated with Club Med.

Club Med was originally invented by its own members and is constantly re-invented inspite of the large corporation that drives it.

Ironically, this bulletin board which was hostile to Club Med is sponsored by an enterprise which was likewise founded by a grass-roots movement (of extreme skiers) and has grown into a prestigeous giant which markets ski videos and ski wear. They even support worthy causes.

Unfortunately, its ok for the mass marketing of ski vacations to be attacked, but not the mass marketing of extreme ski videos.

By the way, this particular bulletin has no moderator so there is a certain amount of lawlessness that can occur.
Please login or register to reply
Vinz
382 Posts
Jun
Sounds like Real skiiers dont ski at Club med ?!

Oh well ! It takes all kinds. As a GM, I am not going to lose sleep over it !

Thanks for the alert tho.
montreal
14 Posts
Jun
I'm not sure if it's a question of real versus less-real, but there can be a strong fraternity within certain sporting groups where their sense of self identity is rooted in the culture that sets them apart.

Any suggestion that their culture is becoming less homogeneous over time could be threatening.

In my 34 weeks at the different club med ski villages, I've never met anyone who was thought to be too big or too small to belong there.

We have all been welcomed with open arms. Whether it is a barmaid from Normandy who saved much of her earning all year long, or the Prince Albert of Monaco at the La Plagne Club with his Bobsled team, we have all slept in the same size rooms with the same shower stalls, and eaten in the same dining room, side by side. We have done all this with class.

In my books, that makes us all real skiers.
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Jun
Dear montreal,
That is a very insightful and accurate analysis.

John
montreal
14 Posts
Jun
John,

Thanks for concurring.

Dancing_mel
124 Posts
Jun
Montreal,

I find it so true what you are saying and I know it can apply to many other activities! I truly think that if everyone on this planet could think without judging, the world would be a happy place to live because everyone would be on the same level! Unfortunately, money makes it a different story because rich people think they can buy everything and everybody! I just wanted to say that respect cannot be bought!
Okay enough said! Sorry for that intrusion!
montreal
14 Posts
Jun
Dancing_mel,

In the case of the extreme ski bulletin board that I was referring to, it is the Club Med members who are perceived as "rich people (who) think they can buy everything and everybody!". The local residents consider themselves to be relatvely poorer, with little sympathy for the idea that many skiers will choose Club Med because it is less expensive than many alternatives.

So no matter how rich or poor you see yourself, there will always be someone with less than you who resents what you have.
Dancing_mel
124 Posts
Jun
Well I certainly cannot buy everything since I have to kill myself on the job to be able to go to CM once a year...of course other people can go twice a year but...I don't care (a bit jealous maybe...) It's my choice of life...

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 7/27/2024 at 7:13:07 AM