Home of a whole lot of Club Med information since 2003
Club Med Scuba

News

Diving in December in Turks or CI

Trish
476 Posts
Oct
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
I'm headed to Turks this December, but my question applies to CI as well. I've always dived there in Spring or Fall and I'm a little concerned about how cold it's going to get. I have a 3mm wetsuit and I'm thinking of buying a "core vest" to go over that. Will that be enough or should I just rent a 5mm from the Club? (Assuming they have them...). Also - do people dive with hoods or "beanies" down there?

And for the time back on the boat after diving, will a sweatshirt be enough or do I need more of a heavy windbreaker or coat? I remember diving in Egypt in December and freezing my butt off on the way back...

Thanks,
Trish

Dive now; work later!
Please login or register to reply
Padre
585 Posts
Oct
i can't speak for Columbus but i am familiar with the conditions in Turks and it all depends on how well you handle the cold. theoretically turks should be warmer than Columbus. for either destination taking a hood for that time of year is the smart thing to do. is the 3mm suit long or short? normally i would recommend taking something heavier but for the sake of luggage space and the expense of buying a new suit, pack that one. dive it once, you'll more than likely be cold so you can rent a 5mm and wear it over the 3mm. don't rely solely on the 5mm rental for warmth. they're alright but not exactly top of the line quality. plus they've been dove so much by so many people that the neoprene has probably compressed. on the boat a sweatshirt is a good idea too. if not then just wrap up in a couple of beach towels. they used to have a supply of clean, dry towels right at scuba so just take a few before getting on the morning boat. air temperature should average 75-85 degrees f. water temp will be more like 60-68 degrees f.

Padre...www.clubmedxgo.com
Scuba GO's, we go deeper, stay down longer and
keep you wet for hours...Dive deep, live shallow
Trish
476 Posts
Oct
Padre,

I KNEW I could count on you for succinct, spot-on advice on what to do. THANKS!

Trish

Dive now; work later!
Padre
585 Posts
Oct
hey, no sweat. i'd still check the weather service for air and water temps and then act accordingly. it's been a while since i've been there at that time of year...

a_siren
25 Posts
Oct
I dove in my 7mm when I was there in March. I was worried everyone would think I was a wuss, until I found out that most if not all the instructors were diving in 7mm full suits.
Vinny
84 Posts
Oct
we have 5 mils here,but Im comfortable in those temps with a full 3 mil and a 2mill hooded vest underneath,its what you are used to,by the way every week I stiil see a few divers in full 5mil and the water is 87 degrees now!

All who wander are not lost
Laurel
114 Posts
Oct
I dove in Turks for two weeks last December. I found that my 3mm was plenty. (I always wear a skin under my suit.) The waves were horrible, though. They had to cancel the dives a couple of days because of the rough conditions. There was one day that I was just praying to get into the water so that the rocking would stop. I do no usually get seasick, but I had to take plenty of Dramamine last year. Just thinking about it now makes me queasy.
Trish
476 Posts
Oct
Oh boy, if Laurel's right, this could get interesting. I am the queen of seasickness and if there was a PADI certificate for Underwater Vomiting, I would have gotten it a LONG time ago. I shall pray for calm, warm seas and light a candle to Neptune when I get home tonight...

Trish

Dive now; work later!
a_siren
25 Posts
Oct
Trish,
Heh, you and I will be fighting for title of "Queen of Seasickness" then! Unmedicated, I typically get violently motion sick. I asked C.Lee if I should use Dramamine 2 (meclizine(sp?)) or the Transderm Scopolomine (sp?) patch. Her response: Both.
My thought: uh-oh, I'm in big trouble.

Really, its just that the Dramamine pill is short acting and the Scopolomine patch is long acting. I did both for my first two days of diving and was absolutely fine (nervous because of my history of seasickness, but not nauseous). It was my first experience with the patch, and it worked really well! By my third day of diving, I was down to the patch only, and no Dramamine.

The downsides to the meds? Dramamine 2, despite the representation that it doesn't make people drowsy like Original Dramamine, still makes me a bit gorked out. I believe both make you a bit dehydrated, but particularly Dramamine 2 does make you dehydrated (yeah, not great if you are diving!). Solution: drink lots and lots of water, put the patch on at least 24 hours before you get on a boat, leave it on until after you finish diving for the trip, and use as little Dramamine as possible to not throw up (for instance, day 1 I took a whole Dramamine just in case, and because I felt fine I tailored back to half for day 2 and none for day 3).

Good luck,
-siren
a_siren
25 Posts
Oct
P.S., I don't know about what is over-the-counter in France or what needs a prescription, but in the U.S. the Scopolomine patch is by prescription only so you do need to see your doctor. Dramamine is over-the-counter.
Padre
585 Posts
Oct
find the exact center of the boat on the lower deck (right in front of the galley counter) sit your a s s down right there and stare at the horizon. in the event that the swells are so high that you keep losing sight of said horizon, clench the rinse bucket firmly between your thighs and pretend it's me, there just to comfort you of course.

Trish
476 Posts
Oct
Siren and Padre,

You are both hilarious, but I have to say, "Been there, done that." Yes, I've tried Dramamine AND the patch (I collapsed at Turks in 1991 cuz I had the patch on too long - fortunately, it happened in the bar and people just thought I was drunk....).

For the last few years I've used with some success homeopathic pills I found here in France. I think they have ginger in them. Padre, you picked my favourite spot on the boat from which to watch the horizon - it's the only place to be. When I was in Egypt, we had really rough weather and the G.O.s gave the briefings inside. After I barfed during the first one, they posted me near the door so I could run out on deck as needed. I actually can't use the toilet on any dive boat because being in that little closed smelly room just sets me off!

An interesting point though: ever since I bought my camera, I rarely get seasick underwater. So I know that this is partly psychological, but that's life!

Bisous,
Trish

Dive now; work later!
Padre
585 Posts
Oct
do you get sick on any other moving objects ? trains, cars, planes, rides at amusement parks???

a_siren
25 Posts
Oct
You bet Padre!!
One business trip I took I vomited in the taxi on the way to the airport, then I vomited again on the airplane!
Somehow, though, boats are the worst for me and my motion sickness.
The pressure point wristbands help some too, but I've vomited wearing them so they are not fool-proof.
Padre
585 Posts
Oct
what about walking, elevators and sitting in a chair watching auto racing on TV?

TRISH !! what about you...

a_siren
25 Posts
Oct
Padre,
I honestly believe it is not only my inner ear/motion receptor that is hyperactive (which is why the patch works for people--it essentially sends in meds to calm those receptors) but part of it is in my brain. Clearly, activities where I am in control and can anticipate the motion don't make me sick--running, swimming at surface or underwater, driving myself, etc. Likewise activities that involve sudden and especially unanticipated motion affect me much worse--someone else driving car, particularly if I am in the back seat, amusement park rides, swells in a boat, etc.

Other factors also will affect my propensity to be seasick: if I'm hot/overheated; tired/exhausted; what I've eaten, or not, etc.
a_siren
25 Posts
Oct
Oh, I do get motion sick sometimes watching IMAX big screen movies!
Padre
585 Posts
Oct
how about when you're making love? and i don't mean just plain old love. i mean hot ,sweaty, headboard banging, springs creaking, push the bed into the next room love??

Trish
476 Posts
Oct

Here I am Padre! (Remember, I'm in another time zone across the big pond..).

I am similar to Siren, but she sounds worse than me. I usually only get sick on boats, not planes, cars, etc. The only exception was the time I took the TGV (hi-speed) train from Paris to Brussels and I was in the first car behind the engine. You can imagine the torque (or whatever it's called) that engine has to produce to pull a long train at high speeds. God, it was hell! (Hey! I've always wanted to use that smiley, but never found a use before!)

As for boats, they've been a problem since childhood. I once got sick on a sailboat on a lake that was so calm that we couldn't sail back (we had to use the motor because there was no wind). And STILL - there I was, barfing over the side! My big problem with dive boats is the diesel fuel smell - Lord, just a whiff of that and it's over (even with the meds).

People tell me I should book a week-long trip on a liveaboard and that would cure my problem, but I'm too scared to spend a week barfing my brains out. Maybe some day...

Back to work!

Bisous,
Trish

Dive now; work later!
a_siren
25 Posts
Oct
Heh. For whatever reason that has never been a problem Padre....
quote:
Originally posted by abdellabdella

how about when you're making love? and i don't mean just plain old love. i mean hot ,sweaty, headboard banging, springs creaking, push the bed into the next room love??

Padre
585 Posts
Oct
just thought i'd ask. best of luck to the both of you in the future.

Trish
476 Posts
Oct

Padre, that makes me dizzy for sure, but never nauseous! Well, except for that one time at Turks when I had had quite a few Mimosas and bizarre concoctions from the bar earlier in the evening - yes, it was a close one that time! Don't think the guy even realised....

Trish

Dive now; work later!
spincon58
41 Posts
Oct
Hi,
Im jumping on this one!!! Trish when in December r u going??? I just came back from CI and I cant stop dreaming of my next dive, so I booked Turks in the end of Nov....When I went in June I got cold so I know I'm going to get cold diving in Nov/Dec.... I was given advice on buying a skin suit ...and I hope they have 5mm suits..together That should keep me warm????Last time I got sea sick I layed down on the deck of the boat and prayed to God for the boat to stop moving....It stopped when we got back to shore....lol.....I just get very bad motion sickness....hours after the dive I'm walking side ways and my head bobs up and down and side to side...its pretty funny to watch...what we divers have to put up with!
I Luv Turkoise
28 Posts
Jun
Hello to all,
I just wanted to share my method to stop motion sickness on the dive boat. I have always gotten motion sick and have learned a trick to use Dramamine but not get too tired during the day. I take 1/2 of the "less drowsy" Dramamine or Bonine BEFORE GOING TO BED. This allows the med to be worn off by the time I get back from diving. In the AM, I take about 4 Ginger tablets....up to 4000 mg. I have never gotten sick on the boat even when the sea is very rough and others are ill. Give it a try. It really works !! If you are nervous about taking only 1/2 tablet at night, try a whole one. The trick is that the pill if being worn off as you sleep but still covers you while you are diving. !! I believe that the ginger adds to the coverage as it has been proven to work against motion sickness in 2-4 gram doses.
I hope to be back in Turks this Nov or Dec.
Good Luck.
Kathy
Padre
585 Posts
Oct
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lG2oCnKrY

DadAlmighty
605 Posts
Nov
Hi Trish,

Sorry I'm joining this thread late. I was laughing as I read it. Padre's right. It all depends how cold you get. I'm on the skinnier side and as I "approach my impending maturity" I tend to get a bit cold. Turks is just about what Columbus is; however, sometimes the ocean currents can fluctuate the water temp up to 10 degrees F. During the winter, I wore a 5mm full suit and was very comfortable. Your 3mm with a vest should be good if you’re diving a week or so. I wore the same in Columbus but by the end of two weeks and 40+ dives, (did both morning and afternoon boats everyday), my core temp drops and I start to get congested. Your 3mm with a vest gives you the option to adjust in case it is warmer and will help with packing weight for your flight.

As for seasickness, I wouldn’t be truthful to say I’ve never been seasick but it is rare. Will admit though that on really rough days I would go to breakfast and get a plate of bacon to go, then stand amidships and munch on it on the way to the dive. That would push a couple of folks over the edge and we would then have “Cheerio Races” at the back of the boat. As you know I am a bit twisted but that’s about the only thing you can bet on in scuba.

Finally, any good sex makes me dizzy. I love that feeling.

Have a blast on your trip.

Bisous,

Dad
Hiddenbay
3 Posts
Nov
I have been diving for years and purchased a 5 mil a few years ago from LesurePro. I dove in water between 78 and 82 degrees. I am never going back to my 3 mil after that. Bare makes a great full length 5 mil for a resonable price and it makes a huge difference on the second dive. In my opinion, a cold second dive is a waste of money.

Does anyone out there know if Club Med is going to reopen any of the Clubs in Tahiti?

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2022 - 10/7/2022 at 1:54:49 AM