Club Med Turquoise

February 13-20 - anyone going?

Seattle Craig
659 Posts
Jan
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
Heading to Turks Feb 13 - 20.

Last visit was October right after hurricane Joaquin. Also, Sharkies was being renovated and they were adding a huge new deck with a small stage area for live music. Looking forward to it!
Please login or register to reply
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Jan
Unfortunately no. We were there in October and December and aiming to go back in mid-May. Not sure when you were last there but starting in October there was pretty been a whole new crop of GOs. I only noticed a couple from prior years. It seemed to be a pretty good team however. I owe a trip report. We also spent a fair amount of time off the premises.

Enjoy!

Jim
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Jan
We will be heading back in early May. We were there in Oct for the week of hurricane Joaquin so we did not get much of a chance to do our normal activities so figured we'd try it in May this time. Sharkeys was under construction so it will be interesting to see what it looks like finished.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Jan
I may see you in May as I may go May 4-12. Sharkey's deck is probably double the size with a permanent stage and small cabanas at the side towards sailing. The bar and kitchen are the same size although the menu has been upgraded at Sharkey's. It lost some of its quaintness but the extra room is great. The weird thing is they don't start serving food till 3 pm making it a little late for a late lunch. The sailing GOs are pretty good. The mast on a Getaway broke in somewhat strong winds. I think structurally they may not be very sound. They also bought some new small sails for windsurfing.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Jan
Thanks Jim!!
Yes, when we were there the size of the new deck was evident and I would have called at least 3 times the old one and they had put in the raised part of the stage, so we could tell where it was to go. 3:00 does seem a bit late to open though. How about drinks, do they at least serve drinks prior to 3:00?
I know Club Med bought the Getaways because they are cheaper than the 16s (about $10K vs $13K ) but I don;t think they will hold up either. We had a forestay break on us in only moderate wind/waves on our previous visit. That brought the sail and rigging down on top of us and necessitated a tow by the safety boat. If you want to take 6 people on a nice leisurely sail in light wind, it is fine, but it is not really meant for performance or more challenging conditions. Glad to see the new windsurfing sails. Have they gotten an new/lighter masts/booms? We've gotten spoiled by the good equipment we use on our trips to Bonaire for windsurfing (leaving this Sunday to head there again.) Is "Derf" one of the sailing GOs these days? We first met him at Turkoise a couple of years ago and saw him again at Columbus Isle this past April.
We will be there May 8 - 17 so we should see you there! We will look for you. You can look for the "AmateurGO" T-shirts. That will be either me or my wife.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Jan
Sharkey's opens for drinks at 12. I am drawing a blank on Derf; I know who he is from prior years. I don't know about new booms etc. as I didn't do windsurfing. I use to do it a lot at Turks but have switched to sailing. The only time we windsurf is at CM and soon as we got our sea legs we were leaving. Now that I go more I may try taking it up again. Also, I have gotten tired of waiting for the CM shuttle to fill up so if I am traveling with somebody I arrange for a taxi and let Diesel know I am heading to CM. I have used "Lumpy" several times and he is nice and the same price as CM for two-he also knows Diesel. His number is 649-241-2478. Last time, we had checked in, dropped our luggage in the room, and were having our first beer when the shuttle finally arrived.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Jan
if you ever want to do some serious (but easy) windsurfing, try Bonaire.
Thanks for the reference and number for taxi. Sometimes we get lucky and taxi/shuttle leave within a few minutes, and sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes and then stops at other resorts on the way...
ChrisO
4 Posts
Jan
We are heading there February 6th - 17th. Looking forward to some sunshine, diving, sailing and volleyball! Hopefully this year the weather will actually let us get out on the water more than a few hours unlike last year. It does look like Fred (er, Derf) will be there this time around as part of the sailing crew. We remember when he was still wet behind the ears at Columbus (with the same CdV that is at Turks now). Great times learning to sail the bay with Bryce on that trip. Looking forward to making new memories this year. Maybe we will bump into each other Seattle Craig!
Tracy
First Post
Mar
I am planning on going 4/30-5/7. If anyone will be there during that time, let me know. :)
I've been there twice this past year (sept and over Christmas) and it's time to go back. I can't wait!
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Mar
I am going May 6 to May 14 so I will be around for your last day. Jim
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Mar
We will be there May 9 - 17 so will miss you Tracy, but I guess we will see Jim. Have a great time!

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/19/2024 at 9:13:25 PM