Club Med Turquoise

Sharkies closed Sept 1 - Oct 31

AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
We got our final invoice/confirmation yesterday and on it there is a section:
Information:
Sharkies will be closed for renovation from Sept 1 - Oct 31. Sorry for any inconvenience.

If they do not open some other bar/snack bar close to the beach, that is going to be a major inconvenience. Without Sharkies there is no food source outside of restaurant meal hours and getting a drink means going all the way to the main bar. (Quite a walk for anyone at the sailing beach, tennis or circus). Some kind of temporary snack bar should not be too difficult to set up, or open up part of the Lucayan or Tennis area for snacks and drinks in the afternoons/evenings.

Comments / suggestions?
Please login or register to reply
Seattle Craig
659 Posts
Aug
Sad to hear. I will be there Oct 4-11. Will miss Sharkie's. Was told by my travel agent that they are upgrading and renovating. To me, Sharkie's is perfect as-is. Betting they WILL set up a Sharkie's-too for this time period, even if make shift.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
Whatever the case, we'll see if we can get the place warmed up for you Craig...We're there Sept 28 - Oct 5 so might run into you your first day....
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Aug
Sorry I did not post earlier but I was there in May and had heard they are renovating Sharkies and expanding the deck and bar area.. About time as it got really crowded. Given it is taking two months they maybe leveling the whole place and starting fresh. Heard an interesting story that CM HQ nixed the CdV request to build the original Sharkies. So he took money from other projects and budgets and built it anyway.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
So, how may people here know what purpose Sharkies originally served?? Hint: It was not a bar...
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Aug
Tell us. I was there in the 90's and I don't think Sharkies was there. Was it just a bathroom at first?
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
It was initially the boat repair shop. If you think about it, it makes sense, The concrete ramp in front of the restrooms was used to haul the boats up into the shop to work on them there. The restrooms were the main "workshop" area and the "kitchen/storage" area was storage and sort of an "office". At that time there was a guy who circulated among the villages repairing boats. He would bring along a box of commonly needed parts/hardware and some tools/materials and work on the boats for a week or two then go to the next village. I guess when they stopped doing that there was no further need for a repair shop, so they turned it into the restrooms and (snack)bar.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Aug
Interesting. I was there in the early 90's and don't remember the place but not sure why I would have. But in the 90's they did have a late breakfast at the Lucerne restaurant which was really nice.

Jim
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
Unless you were really into sailing and talked with the GOs a lot you would not have noticed the building or its purpose. It was not some place a GM would normally go. We were there in the early-mid 90s (I'll say 93 or 94) and it was the boat repair shop. When we returned in the late 90s (97 - 98) it had been converted to Sharkeys.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Sep
I saw on tripadvisor that CM has set-up a temporary beach bar near the volleyball. Good news. Jim
Seattle Craig
659 Posts
Sep
OK, see you AmateurGO. Called and there is a replacement "Dolphin Bar" literally at sailing. Supposedly has "BBQ" but that could mean anything. Anyway, it seems they will have food in addition to drinks. Now hoping for those CM skinny fries laced with Tabasco sauce...
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Sep
Looks like we won't go hungry (or thirsty) after all! :-)
I suspect that the temporary Sharkeys is located where we like to position our lounges, on the covered platform next to the windsurfer storage. But I guess we can give up our favored space so that everyone (including ourselves) can eat and drink. 17 days.......
Seattle Craig
659 Posts
Sep
That makes sense as a location based on what I heard from a CM rep. Also, Sharkies and CM Turks has a Facebook page which sometimes has good info.
Seattle Craig
659 Posts
Oct
I have some pictures of the Dolphin bar. Basically a makeshift shed. Full Sharkies menu. Message me for pix as I don't know how to post here via mobile.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Oct
There is one thing that I did not think about prior to our visit last week..... Although the Dolphin's snack bar provides a place for you to get a drink, it does not provide you a place to relieve yourself of it later. Without Sharkies, there are no restrooms convenient to most of the beach area.
From what I could see of the construction, the deck area will be about 4 times the size of the old deck and there will be a small stage in one corner for live performers. Could not tell just what changes were being made to the actual building or internal facilities. They lost several days (probably 3 or 4) to hurricane Joaquin so I hope they are still on schedule.

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/20/2024 at 2:07:46 AM