Club Med Ixtapa Pacific

Review Ixtapa CM August 25-September 1, 2014

indiana
480 Posts
Sep
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
This is my second visit to this village, and 51st CM vacation in 18 different villages. I was there in Sept 2011 with good memories ( my review is posted at this site). The price was good during the sale in Oct 2013, and I took it. The closest airport does not have direct flight from the east coast and the mid west, so travel time is long. My flight with Aeromexico from Chicago (USD 414 r/t) was easy. Taxi from the airport is MXP450 up to 4 people. The return taxi is MXP350. The taxi stand at the airport accepts credit card with 4% service fee. The is now a money exchange facility at the airport (ZIH), but the rate at Mexico city airport is better. The CM rate ( 1USD= 11.5 MXP) was slightly worse than ZIH. It takes approx 25 minutes to reach the club, and there is no traffic. The public bus which goes to Ixtapa and Zihuataneho is MXP 12.
My room was in the same building as the last time, only one flight higher. My silver member gift was a 25 cl silver tequila, which tasted good, and which felt very well at the arrival. The census was around 240, with more locals during the weekend. It was mostly hot, with a few showers during the week. Many people chose to stay around the pool. This time there were both salsa and Brazilian dance classes, which were a treat for me. There was zumba, although the website did not include it in the activities.
Sailing, archery, trapeze, power walk, tennis, stretching, cardiofitness were also available. Playa Linda is very close, and it is a power walk destination: there is a convenience store at the intersection and may restaurants at the beach. . There were plenty of choices at the main restaurant. I had eaten at the annex restaurant before, so I did not try it. The main bar was closed and air conditioned. The liquor selection was good: two tequila choices, and a mezcal. Cachaca was also available this time. the bar team was friendly and efficient. There was occasional shortage of a particular liquor. The corkage fee is on the books.
The shows were good/very good. I could not see the 'Music Factory" on Sunday, Aug 31, because it is switched with the Brazilian Show, to accommodate ( may be to impress) some guests. There was frequently a second activity after the show ( beach party/limbo dance, mariachi band, dance contest, an 'innocent' pool party, fashion show ). First time I participated the fashion show. The participants received 20% discount coupon from the boutique.There were plenty of crazy signs after the show, thanks to the chief of animation who arrived on Aug 26. The bar closed at 2 AM, many GOs and some GMs stayed around, and they made their own parties..
The ambiance was OK; however I created my own ambiance. There were few GMs. Many families preferred to stay alone. Many, but not all GOs were engaging. One GO told me that he sat at the dinner table of some GMs, they thought he was trying to sell something to them. There were a few table of 7's, much better than Cancun or Sandpiper. The GO's sat with me almost all the time, my table of choice was the round table. The wine was decent. On few occasions I took the wine myself, or I brought the bottle to my table. Normally a server serves ( also true for breakfast beverages).
There were few vendors at the beach. The CM security around the beach was more visible this time. I did not hear or see any incident. I was one of the five GMs surveyed during the week.
This is a nice village. The infrastructure, the design are better than Cancun or Sandpiper. The GO team is more involved ( now and three years ago) than the other two villages. The children disappear after the show, it becomes like an adults only village. The CM can attract more people if the single supplement is eliminated during the low season. I am back, now I miss this place ( a rare feeling during the past 7-8 years at CM).
Please login or register to reply
indiana
480 Posts
Sep
The dress codes were: Monday Aug 25- Brazilian colors, Tue -Mexican colors, Wed - black& 45 t shirt, Thu- all white, Fri- elegant, Sat- pink& black { first time 'pink', I had seen pink for women and blue for men}, Sun- Brazilian colors (this is due to switch, other wice capuccino. Not many GMs followed the dress code.
Please login or register to reply

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/26/2024 at 9:27:08 AM