Club Med Turquoise

Turks

boraborabob
192 Posts
Aug
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
Heard a rumor Barq was heading back to Dominican Republic for the Winter season. Also for one who usually does the Turks has anyone been there with the kids and all. Could I stand it? Thinking about a change this next trip and I always liked Barq at T&C and Bahamas.
Please login or register to reply
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
Hi Bob.. always good to hear from you.
I cannot speak specifically to Punta Cana, but we went to the Cancun village last year and of course it is also a Family village, although smaller than PC. We were there in early May so school was in session with no significant holidays and there were really very few kids around. The entertainment was a bit "toned down" but I seem to remember that you are pretty good at creating your own entertainment (poker games) anyway.
The thing that we did notice, as we saw at Ixtapa a couple of years ago, is the "New Club Med" atmosphere. They discouraged group tables, GOs did not seem to eat at GM tables. We had to get CDV "permission" to invite a GO to one of the specialty restaurants. That part of it bothered us more than the kids being around.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Aug
Good to hear from you two. I was at PC several years ago. It is the least favorite of the clubs I have stayed at (Turks, Cancun-both singles and family, Huatulco, Paradise island). Some of it was the GOs who were pretty weak and management. For example, during meals they staff was slow to clear tables. So you had to wait, get someone, or do it yourself. Worse part was the dirty dishes drew flies. Yuk.

Physically, the place is not as attractive as other clubs. It is big so you may end up walking a lot if your room is not close to the center. The rooms had a strange layout with a side room with day beds for kids. The weird part was the TV was in that room and it was hard to see from the main bed. The grounds were pretty bare bones and the beach is so so. I think it is actually man-made. It's on the windward side so there was a lot of seaweed. It has a petite club so there was a lot of young kids and parents would also have them at the pool a lot but generally they were at camps and pretty much out of sight. It was very low-key and they started the shows early because of the kids/families which is fine with me. A lot of French-more so than Turks. In all fairness, I had to work a lot of this vacation which did not sit well with my girl friend or me, so that may have clouded things.

I am going to Turks the last week in October to meet some people from prior trips. The CDV is supposed to be leaving around then He is a nice engaging CDV and is going to an Asian club.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
Hey Jim, we may see each other, or perhaps just miss in Turks in Oct. We'll be there Oct 10 - 20. We met the CDV (Mike, I believe) there last year.
Sounds like we won't go out of our way to try the PC village....
Bob, perhaps Barq would change things some, but would probably take a while to make much of an impact. Barq came into Turks as the new CdV one time when we were there but we left about 2 days after he got there, so didn't see much of him.
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Aug
Jim, I was at PC last January and the CDV ran a pretty tight ship. The dining room staff had tables cleaned off super fast. Also, the room design may be different for each building. My room was in one of the original 3 story buildings next to Cortez and the TV was in the main bedroom. My main complaint is that the club is so big that it is difficult to get to know people. It is not intimate. I have been to over 20 different clubs, and this isn't the prettiest club in the American zone, probably Martinique is, but it is prettier than Turks.. None of the American zone clubs compare to the Asian clubs.

AmaterGO, I had heard that the club at Cancun had eliminated a lot of the tables for 8, and that was one of the reasons I didn't go there. That isn't the case at PC, and I ate with the GO's a lot. If I remember right, the GO;s have always had to have a GM invite them to the specialty restaurants. I know that was the case even 20 years ago. I get the feeling that GO-GM interaction has a lot to do with the CDV. On my very first night at PC one of the GO's invited me to their sports dinner, which surprised me.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Aug
Hello John... Regarding the GOs eating at the specialty restaurants... Yes, the GOs always had to be invited by a GM, but at Cancun, that was not sufficient. GOs were not allowed to eat at those restaurants at all, invite or not. We and another (gold level) couple who knew the CDV fairly well had to ask him for permission to invite Casey to join us.
And yes, there were very few large tables at Cancun. When we did sit at a large table by ourselves, it was difficult to get other GMs or GOs to join us. The village and facilities were fine and the kids/family were really not a problem, but the lack of the style old Club Med feeling was disappointing.
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Aug
I'm sorry AmateurGO, but you must have gotten off the bus at the wrong place. That's not my CM. That is really, really sad, almost sick. No, I just think that is plain insane. It sounds more like a gulag than a resort. I guess I made the right decision to go to PC. BTW, right after they remodeled Cancun I was in a CM forum and mentioned that it sounds like they had destroyed any of the CM ambiance there, and one of the CM corporate types really lashed out at me and said, we are just giving people what they want. What kind of people are those?
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Sep
Barq remains another season (his 5th) in Albion !

All the regulars there - including myself - are so happy !
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Sep
Wow, Kiki, great hearing from you again. I've missed you.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Sep
Kiki, nice to hear from you as well! John, the village center of PC was much nicer than Turks but no way can PC beat the beautiful beach at Turks. Regarding, GOs being invited to the specialty restaurants, I can see one reason why a CDV may not want them going to the specialty restaurants. At Turks, the restaurant is pretty popular (I can only think because it is quieter especially if you have a large group. Otherwise the place is pretty weak and wouldn't survive a week in Chicago.). I have heard shouting matches over getting into the restaurant and some people were pretty pissed they could not get in at all the entire week and took it out on the GOs and the CDV They would even be more pissed if they found out GOs were going. Having said that Cancun has some many restaurants and I don't see families going to them or if so, going early, so space shouldn't be an issue.

I have been at Clubs were the GOs such as tennis or sailing would organize dinners which was a nice touch. Diving often has their own cook out at Turks. Have to share this one item. At Turks, one GO would go off and eat in an empty dining room rather than sit with the GMs. So apparently, he didn't get the memo about being friendly.

Jim
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Sep
Jim, I agree that the beach is nicer at Turks. I was really speaking of the general landscaping. I can't think of any of the other clubs where GO's at specialty restaurants was a problem, so I don't know what makes the club at Cancun different. Usually, GM's invite one or two GO's so it was never a problem anywhere else.

I thought the sports dinners were common at all the clubs. At Cherating even the lifeguards had a sports dinner! BTW, it was a lot of fun. I mentioned this before but when I was at PC in January I was invited to the tennis dinner, even though I never played any tennis there. I mentioned this to Ramon who headed up the tennis program and he said, Oh, John you have such beautiful T-shirts from all the other clubs (no 45's) you have to join us!
LisaTravelGal
2 Posts
Oct
As a GM from several years back, I have to get your opinion on Club Med as a whole, and specifically Turks. Do you think it is as fun and crazy as it was say, 5-10 years ago? Please be honest. I am thinking of organizing a group to go to Turks & I need some honest feedback, Thanks!
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Oct
Maybe you might focus in a little more on your time frame for comparison. We have been going the last 6 years and it is fun but a lot depends on who is there as well as the GO team. This last trip I though the GOs were a little flat but it was change of season time and the noon pool games were weak. Not sure your age but the crowd is some young people but plenty of 30-40s. One caveat is we are not late night people so I can not comment on the late night scene but the shows and after show signs were well attended. As to your time frame, I was there in the 90's and it is no near as crazy back then. The place is a little rundown and really hasn't changed at all. Don't expect updated rooms. Hope this helps.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Oct
Also should mention Sharkies is pretty lively in the late afternnon. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Oct
Chicago Jim, it sounds like you have been recently. Have you been there since the new CDV took Mike's place? If so, could you provide a list of the dress codes and and any other useful info for us, leaving on Friday 10/10 for 10 days. How is the wine these days? Is Casey still Chief of Sailing?
Thanks!
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Oct
And in reply to LisaTravelGal.... Club Med in general, and Turkoise specifically, is not nearly as "wild" as it used to be. I think this partly reflects the aging of the typical GM. No more foam parties, no more (raunchy?) picnics and much less pressure on GMs to participate in all activities. For us (now in our 60s) this is generally a good thing, but a "20-something" might not agree.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Oct
AmateurGO, we were in Turks in early May so I can't really help you on current info. Casey was there in May and we met a few nice GOs but to be honest I thought the GOs in general were pretty flat. Perhaps it was change of season and the GOs didn't care anymore because they were leaving. The tennis GO showed up late for lessons twice, one bartender never smiled and just seemed to go through the motions, and the fitness GO was pretty weak and not very sociable. I couldn't take a windsurf out at 4 pm because it was put away for the day though the beach supposedly was open till 5. I did a trip report and will post try to post it. I am going back to Turks end of October so AmatuerGO let me know how things are.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Oct
Thanks Jim...
I'll try to get in a report about our stay fairly quickly.
I understand the CDV has already changed and I know this is probably about the middle of the changes for the GOs. Sometimes having a "fresh" batch of GOs will liven up a village. We'll see....
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Oct
I saw on the CM website that Michael is there till 10/31. CMP has the name and bio of the new CDV.

AmateurGO
560 Posts
Oct
Yes, apparently Brendan was CDV for a week. Mike Clark is here now and will be for another couple of weeks when he and some of the GOs will leave and go to Sapporo, Japan.
Weather has been good, decent sailing (although they are not rigging the only true Hobie 16). Food is a little better than last year; red wine is decent, white is pretty bad.
Dress codes so far are elegant, 70-80s, Turkoise & white, all-white. There will also be a "Pirates" code, a 45-Tshirt, and a "all black' that I have seen. Of course., after Mile Clark leaves, this is all very subject to change.
Mike/AmateurGO (In Turkoise until 10/20)
boraborabob
192 Posts
Oct
Just wasn't comfortable with Turks last trip. But with changes Bobby (s0n) and I will be there for a few weeks around Dec 1st. Any poker players going to be around? Lack of single supplement makes it look like it will be my most expensive CM trip ever. Any rumors of pricing for the slow period coming up?
boraborabob
192 Posts
Oct
I just went back and read all the posts here on Turks. I've never had a problem taking a GO to the Annex Restaurant at any CM Village including last fall. Chicago Jim's comments I found interesting because the lackluster attitude is what promoted me to writemy first poor review of last trip. Although at the time I wrote it I blamed CM for budget cutting and making it more difficult for a new CDV to turn over staff quickly.

Yes the whole crowd at TC seems to be getting older. Guess I'm one of those.

Thinking back over the last 1,260 days I've spent at CM's since 1976 the CDV makes the difference. No matter how difficult corporate makes it for them a good CDV can turn around a village in a month. Why I liked Barq. Followed him after a few years from TC to Bahamas. He did a very good job of turning a lackluster bunch of GO's into a great experience in less than 45 days. I always remembered at TC looking up to the 2nd floor meeting room next to the computer room late after midnight on the way to my room and see a room full of GO's being worked over by management. That's how Barq did it.

Tempted to make the 30 hr plane trip to Albion just because I suspect he's the reason the club is so popular.

It always comes down to the CDV 's leadership.
indiana
480 Posts
Oct
Although CDV can make a difference, I have not seen a true lively GO team in the American zone for more than a decade. I clearly and definitely did not have the same experience with Barq as Boraborabob. The management room being full after midinight is not an indication of an engaging, effervescent GO team. May be I keep the bar high.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Oct
Hard to say what Turks will be like in Dec as many of the GOs and the CdV (Mike Clark) are leaving over the next couple of weeks. Have not heard who the new CdV will be.
One of our disappointments has been in the continued decline in the quality of many things in the village. The food, the wine, and the sports equipment. For serious sailors, there is only one Hobie 16 and it is so old that it is used only by GOs, not available for GMs. The big Hobie "Get-Away"s are basically big, slightly faster, Waves. The windsurf gear is stuck about 15 - 20 years in the past with old beat-up boards and heavy sails.
Mike Clark seems to be a popular CdV but is very oriented toward the entertainment and "Putting on a show" end of things rather than making any substantive changes.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Oct
I agree with Indiana and Bob that the overall quality of the GOs have declined although there is usually a few god ones on each trip. I also forgot to add that on my recent CM Turks trip, there was one GO who would sneak off to an empty dining room to eat breakfast. I am kind of torn. On the one hand I am not a morning person and prefer a quiet breakfast but on the other hand part of their job is to mingle even if it a quick eat. Michael Clarke I think did focus more on the shows and the food especially dinner and they were a lot better. I also suspect that management especially senior management has been distracted with the leveraged buy-out and then the hostile bid. Hopefully now that that has been resolved or at least seems to have been resolved things will get better.

Also CMP has Jeff Sabapathy as the new CdV. This is his first time as CdV. He was CdSports at Turks from 2012-13 and I kind of remember him.. I will be there in less than a week and will let you know how things are.
indiana
480 Posts
Oct
Turkoise does not fit the upmarket startegy of the present CM management. The lease has been renewed for only for 7 years from May 2013. The corporate is not going to do major capital investment. I think the areas which appeal to few GMs, like Hobies, the supplies at the fitness room, will be neglected. The corporate is now in transition due to bids for acquisition. I understand that one group wants to prioritize the midmarket. I do not expect a lot of change before finalization of the bidding.
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Oct
Indiana, I'm pulling for the mid-market group. The upmarket group is forever boring and trying to please them with the "latest" is a lost cause. It sounds like the Turks will die of neglect if they don't do something. It's been on a downhill slope for years.
AmateurGO
560 Posts
Oct
We are home and, looking back, I think the overwhelming impression of our visit was that the village was pinching pennies and cutting corners at every opportunity. The previously mentioned step backwards in wailing/windsurfing equipment, the limited food selections (and most of what they did offer was not memorable), the poor wine, and even the appetizers before dinner were sad. The new theater seats are more comfortable, but very cheaply made and won't last long. The pool badly needs cleaning (lots of mold in the grout). More "extra cost" options, some of which you got by buying a bottle of good wine (for twice what it should be selling for).
We are seriously considering going to Columbus Isle next year, even though it does mean having to use Spirit airline.
I'll try to get out a full trip report in a few days. If you have specific questions, let me know.
Dress codes I can remember are: all-white, all-black, elegant, 70s & 80s, 45 shirt, Turquoise & White, pirate clothes.
boraborabob
192 Posts
Oct
Well it looks like Bobby and I will be at Turks for the first 2 weeks of Dec. We'll probably spend more time outside the club than normal. Golf and Fishing.

Frankly I really liked CI even though it meant dealing with a few kids. They fly large full flights from Europe to San Salvador. In fact returning they can't handle the short runway and have to head over to Cuba to top off tanks before returning to Europe. The only thing that really keeps me away is the charter schedule out of Ft Lauderdale. You really can't make the flight from anywhere west, so u have to spend a night there. And maybe returning.

Hope the poker table is still around so I can do the "Poker After Dark" thing I like to do.
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Oct
Thanks for the update! I leave tomorrow for seven days. Jim
indiana
480 Posts
Oct
The new CDV is Julien Lettrez (French), according to the CM French site and CM Sandpiper Bay facebook, but the US site does not list anybody yet. The prices for Sept-Oct 2015 are appealing. I wish there were no single supplement.
boraborabob
192 Posts
Oct
Post has me thinking about CI.

10-4 on Sngl Supp. My son and I go as singles. Rooms too small to share @ Turks.

As a side note, I got a pretty scaving note on my Trip Report last Dec from JOJO. From this post it looks like I was right about the state of Turks. Hopefully a new CDV will be able to take charge and whip together those GO groups we have all learned to love.

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/20/2024 at 8:08:48 AM