Club Med Eleuthera

G.O's - News -

Closing info

GODJ
1353 Posts
Mar
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
Eleuthera used to be the crown jewel of the Out Islands, especially when American Airlines had a deal to fly guests into the Club Med. But the island's economy suffered a shock when the Club Med was battered by Hurricane Floyd in 1999. The resort chain already was in financial trouble, so it used the insurance check to pay bills and never reopened.
Please login or register to reply
scubajamie
13 Posts
Mar
I think it had the best beach of any Club Med I had been to! I had the pleasure of working with Mike Coltman (CdV) during his last village assignment. It's a shame that it never re-opened.
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Mar
We loved that pink sand so much. Just for long walks. It was fun to take the shuttle to the water activites and lunch area. So many lovely locations have closed. But am I the only one who remembers and went to the Club Med on Kauai in 1974. I am sure that dates me.
Jim
wa4md
First Post
Jun
Thanks for the upate on what happened to Club Med, Eleuthera.
I used to be stationed at the Navy Base above where Club Med
was built. It closed in 1980 and the remaining buildings were pretty
much leveled by hurricane Floyd, also. Always wanted to go back
to Eleuthera just to look around. But there are few package deals
anymore and it would cost an arm and a leg to visit between airfare
and hotel expenses. But I'm not giving up on my dream to go there,
one more time. Tnx again!

quote:
Originally posted by GODJ

Eleuthera used to be the crown jewel of the Out Islands, especially when American Airlines had a deal to fly guests into the Club Med. But the island's economy suffered a shock when the Club Med was battered by Hurricane Floyd in 1999. The resort chain already was in financial trouble, so it used the insurance check to pay bills and never reopened.

pinky
283 Posts
Jun
this was my first CM as a go...it was the best time i was scuba go summer 90...any go from there still around??/

pinky
pinky
283 Posts
Jul
i just got back from borneo,ther i met some people who go to governors harbour every year...they were there in december 03,and said the bulldozers were at the club site,flattening what was left ...bye by eeleuthera

pinky
makichan
83 Posts
Jul
scubajamie
Hello, were you there as mini club scuba GO? I have been there to visit my x boy friend who was assistant F&B there with at same season. I have been there around May, and then back to Moorea where I was GO scuba...just my memory...nothing new...it is CM life separating with boyfriend.
pinky
283 Posts
Jul
don`t think so,no mini club scuba go`s then...we did it all...c de v was denis anselm,c de s was vincenzo del zingaro scuba cheif was shawn,canadian

pinky
amambroyan
50 Posts
Jul
quote:
Originally posted by scubajamie

I think it had the best beach of any Club Med I had been to! I had the pleasure of working with Mike Coltman (CdV) during his last village assignment. It's a shame that it never re-opened.

what year did you work at Club Med Eleuthera?

pout pout!
amambroyan
50 Posts
Jul
quote:
Originally posted by scubajamie

hEY!

My husband is wondering if you worked in summer 1998 because Mike Coltman was also his CDV...Please reply back!

Live like there's no tomorrow!!!
LB84
9 Posts
Aug
It's too bad that Eleuthera is no more. I was scuba GO there back in 1984 and I kept great memories of the place. The diving was amazing (blue holes), the beach was second to none and we had a great team (CV was Flo). A bunch of us from that season (84-85) is organizing a 20th Year reunion sometime in December in one of the Caribbean Club.
aratopp
204 Posts
Sep
quote:
Originally posted by pinky

this was my first CM as a go...it was the best time i was scuba go summer 90...any go from there still around??/

pinky It was also my first CM as a GO. I worked there in 98. The nicest place I've seen. I also want to return to Governour's Harbour one day and reminisce about the past!!!

Parev!
pinky
283 Posts
Sep
i wish...when i left,i was accompanied to the airport by my chef and the taxi driver ``big.daddy``???told me i`d be back,cause i fitted in so well with the island...never have,but allways remember it...wonderfull season

pinky
aratopp
204 Posts
Sep
hey pinky, remember the marina and the shuttle bus there???

WHAT SAY YOU?
GAR
468 Posts
Sep
Eleuthera ... Mike Coltman - Ronnie's bar - Brenda & Caroline selling souvenirs - Mate & Jenny's pizza - Goombay Smash - pink sand - turkoise waters - cooking on rocks in the annex - midnight Clubby visits - a kick ass GO team ... memories etched in my mind ... wearing a vintage Club Med Eleuthera jean shirt today too!

G.A. xox
aratopp
204 Posts
Sep
hey Gar, did you read my "memories of Eleuthera"???. Please scroll down and read. Were you a Go in 1998?

WHAT SAY YOU?
pinky
283 Posts
Sep
yes the marina...spent the whole day there..shawn was obsessed with the snakes,we had 2 ``pets``..they were SO fat from the frogs he caught for them...and still bit him when he let them go at the end of the season...and he wondered why///???as to the shuttle bus...great to stop off for the weekly ``shopping`` at the booze run!!!

pinky
pinky
283 Posts
Sep
and the team reminder we put in the scuba shack,a pair of feet/fins we signed and stuck to the wall...and my best friend martin,chief of circus,writting on the wll in the theatre ``to fly is to touch the sky,...but to dance is to reach heaven``what a season!!!

pinky
GAR
468 Posts
Sep
Hi aratop,

I was either in Punta Cana or the Human Resources office (then still at Sandpiper)in 1998 depending on the month ... but I remember Mike's farewell. Still email him every now and then - what a great man!

What were you doing in Eleuthera in '98? Maybe I was your "affecteur" ?

G.A. xox
eileen
46 Posts
Sep

I was in Eleuthera for the winter season in '97-98. Were any of you there??
(oh those damn goombay smashes..and the $1 bags of popcorn at Ronny's)
Eileen
aratopp
204 Posts
Sep
Hi eileen and GAR,

I love talking about CM eleuthera. I was part of the maintenance team from june till end of september 98, till the village closed for the season. We use to go to Ronny's and enter from the back{the entrance for GO's only} I remember the kalik's were cheaper for us and they played-WHO LET THE DOG'S OUT song alot... and also this song called-<<<Theresa, looking fiiiinnnne...>>> I remember everybody from the circus team to reception, from the boutique team to all sports team.
Do you guys know Celestin {kitchen}? He still works for CM. Mike Coltman made this other guy come from Punta Cana {Thierry} the last two months of my stay cause we had so many gm's form NYC every friday... Do you guys know Cathy {welcoming comity}?

WHAT SAY YOU?
GAR
468 Posts
Sep
Hi again,

I do know Celestine. I last saw him in PI last year with his wife Sancha and their little guy CJ (Celestine Junior).

Do you know Martin Degagné - watersports?

G.A. xox
aratopp
204 Posts
Sep
hi Gar,

when I got there 2 months ago, we saw each other on the first night and he remembered me from 6 years ago. I have a picture. Sorry about Martin, doesn't ring a bell.

WHAT SAY YOU?
littleone1171
13 Posts
Oct
I still have a jar full of the pink sand sitting on a shelf in my Mom's house!
aratopp
204 Posts
Oct
Where does your mom live? No,seriousely, when did you go there? Just curious!

WHAT SAY YOU???
pinky
283 Posts
Oct
and i have a cocktail glass,with ``club med eleuthera`` written on it...also full of pink sand!!!prized possession

pinky
aratopp
204 Posts
Oct
The only few things I brought home were t-shirts. All kinds of CMELEUTHERA T-shirts!!! 9 of them! No pink sand

WHAT SAY YOU???
Boomer
58 Posts
Oct
I worked with Kenton Smith as CDV in Eleuthera in 97. The crazy ski team was there, Jonny, Gigi, Dan. I was working in Snorkeling. Innok died that season. Anybody remember?
GAR
468 Posts
Oct
Kind of a hard season to forget!

Kenton is doing great by the way.

G.A. xox
Jan
quote:
Originally posted by pinky

pinky

Hi Pinky! I remember you! I came to Eleuthera in Oct 89 and you were on your way out. You taught me to scuba. I know I have a pic of you in my album! Contact me!

Denise (Restaurant)
Jan
Sorry--October 1990. Our team stayed in Eleuthera a whole year because the Gulf War happened and they didn't switch anyone to different clubs. That was the most surreal experience. Watching the US go to war on tv screens in the disco!

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/26/2024 at 5:40:53 PM