Club Med Sandpiper Bay

Review August 2009

indiana
480 Posts
Aug
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
I signed up for this week on Aug 9, when CM came with unbelievable last minute rates. On that date CM was selling rooms until Sept 1. CM was efficient by sending me my registration papers via priority mail. A few days later I learned that Aug 23 was the closing date. CM had big plans last year to relocate the main pool, expand the bar, upgrade the rooms. However those plans are primariy on hold, and this closure, for the first time in the history of Sandpiper, is more economically driven. Reservations are now accepted starting Dec 12. I heard that room upgrade will start in Feb 2010, building by building. The GOs generally did not have much information what the plans were. I think even the CM management did not make definite plans, they will play by the ear, depending on how the economy and the reservations go.
Some GOs signed promisory letters stating that they will be available in December, but this was not a contract. Miami office presence was visible. There was a big management meeting with all the staff on Friday. CM now recognizes GO and GE of the month, and gives them a trophy, which looks like 'oscar'. CM took all GOs to bowling on Friday night, and us the dedicated GMs, together with the DJ, kept the party going at the Sandbar. We broke the rule and closed the bar after 1 AM ( the bartenders had to force us out). CM brought in bands during the week, and they were entertaining. There was quite a lot of dancing and crazy signs in the evenings, unusual for Sandpiper. The Saturday night was even better, the pace at Sandbar exceeded Turkoise, and approached Kemer. Most GOs at that time had removed the badges, they were officially ex-GOs. There was a little bit sadness in the air due to closure. The music stopped 1:50 AM, the bar closed 2:10 AM, another record for Sandpiper.
The dress codes were: Aug 16 Sunday all white, Aug 17 Monday pirate (first time I see this dress code in CM) , Aug 18 Tuesday jeans and sports jersey, , Wednesday coffee, creme and chocolate, Thursday colorful top and white bottom, Friday elegant, Saturday black and jeans.
Sandpiper does not have waterski any more (cost cutting), jet ski is available at a price. We did the cray signs around the pool everyday, two being minimum, some days more ( in Turkoise it was always two, nonnegotiable (!) ). Eric from reception could not resist my requests , and he did 6 crazy signs aound the pool on Thursday ( another Sandpiper record I believe). We even danced to the crazy sign 'she bangs', which is allegedly banned at Sandpiper. The Wednesday night there was a surprise comedy hour ( a one time event), a part time comedian ex-GO presented a pleasant hour of humor , relating to CM and Go lifestyle. Zumba was quite a visible activity, thanks to enthusiastic instructor Kimberly from California ( she was chosen the GO of the month on Friday). Fitness and Zumba was available everday ( in Turkoise, no fitness/powerwalk on Saturday when I was there), there were a morning and an afternoon Zumba class. In addition there was "Zumba Tonic" at the pool on Sundays, part of the pool game. So I attended a total of 16 Zumba sessions ( a record for me). Kickboxing in the mornings was demanding, but still achievable for dedicated GMs. The fitness area was next to the adult pool(also considered whisper zone). CM in the past wanted to cut back sundance arguing that it was creating to much noise around the main pool. It was ironic that fitness activities accompanied by music were done next to the 'quiet' pool. Did CM imagine that we would dance 'whisper ' zumba? The noon pool games were geared towards kids. I joined a mixed kid/adult water polo game. The rules were quite lengthy and confusing. I missed the previos years' adult water polo and water volleyball games. Last sunday though, we had GO/GM water polo game, the GOs won.
The restaurant, the miniclub, the bar functioned well. I met some GMs who had problems in their rooms, malfunctioning AC being the most common complaint. I had no problem in my room, and it was as clean as it could get. There were around 300 guest during the last nignt, thanks to last minute/Florida resident specials, and CM bartering rooms for DJ entertainment. On the last Sunday the sports activities closed at 3, and the bar at 4 PM. I had fairwell drinks at Sandbar just before closing, we were almost ready to dance Muevelo with Eric.
Few shows were repeat from last year. The signature 'pirate' show was confusing, it was no match to last year's. Dancing clases were 6 days a week. There was no mixology class at Sandbar. They had tried a class of playing with the bottles like a bartender (flare) in the past, but it was cancelled due to poor participation ( I wish I were there). The fake bottles were still at the bar. The Riverside restaurant was open 2 days, food/service was similar to the previous years. There was no pre-dinner circus show at the the Riverside patio. The wine at the main restaurant was drinkable (better than Turkoise), even better wine was available at the bar at no charge, if you asked for it.
This year Sandpiper was more entertainig for me ( a total surprise), it graduated from the 'sandiaper' status. Sandpiper proved to be rockable. I am heading to Otranto CM now, I expect it to be self rocking.
Please login or register to reply
SandraGroot
174 Posts
Aug
Wow, sounds as a "must have been there stay"!!! I've read your story with a smile on my face :-)

Have fun in Otranto and please share your experiences after you return from the club!!

'09 Vittel
'08 Les Deux Alpes, Opio, Vittel
'07 Agadir + Marrakech

indiana
480 Posts
Mar
Correction: Eric, I mentioned in my review, was in the sports team. He is now in Turkoise, in the reception, so he cannot moderate the crazy signs any more (malchance). However the remembered me instantly, and his sundance marathon ( nobody matched it during my stay at Turkoise).

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/20/2024 at 3:53:54 AM