Club Med Expert Agent
Home of a whole lot of Club Med information since 2003
Club Med Questions

News

Any tipping at Club Med?

jkl2000
16 Posts
Jul
Do people tip at the bar? Anywhere else?

Again, an elementary question -- I just don't know what the common practice is. Although I'm sure there's some deviation...
Please login or register to reply
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
Normally at the bar it is all inclusive and so no tipping. Sometimes you might tip the house keeper. But that is a personal decision you make.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
Chicago Jim
850 Posts
Jul
I do not tip and did not see anyone tip at the bar. I think some people will buy bar tickets for a GO that has been really nice to them. I also "bought" some of the GOs drinks which I am not sure was proper or not. I had accumulated a number of beers in the room frig (My girl friend and I like to have some beers while getting ready etc. and we bring a few extra back from the bar) and gave them to the tennis GOs. They seemed to like that. Finally, I tipped the housekeeper a $1 every day and we seemed to get good service. I tip every day rather than one big tip because sometimes it is a different person. I did not use the massage services but I would probably tip those people.

Jim
jkl2000
16 Posts
Jul
Ok, if no one else is tipping at the bar, I won't either. That's fine.

About those beers you brought back to the room (I was wondering about that), were they in cans? Bottles? I was hoping I could do that -- just with a couple, and also maybe a can of soda occasionally.

Is there somewere you can get singles on site -- I'll being cash but I could see needing to change a $20 occasionally.
Dancing_mel
124 Posts
Jul
You can have cans of beer. It's the local beer: El Presidente
Pirate15
182 Posts
Jul
yeah we've always known tipping isn't necessary but my dad tips the housekeepers. he tried to tip a bartender who was very good to us multiple times and he always refused it since they really aren't supposed to accept. we all got GOs drinks from the bar all the time which is a good way to thank them.

as for the singles, reception can sometimes give you change but be prepared because they don't always have it. the boutique may be able to break a $20 for you too. i don't think they have cans of soda available because you mostly get it from soda fountains. but they definitely have cans of presidente and bottles of bud and miller and a few others.

- Capt. Gigs -
Chicago Jim
850 Posts
Jul
There was a local beer that came in cans and that was what I brought back to the room. They may have some bottled beer but I do not think they wanted you to leave the bar especially if you were going to the pool. I do not recall if they had cans of soda. At the bar, they had fountain service. As to change I am not sure if you can get change but you can try at the boutique or the main desk. We bought very little and just charged it to the room and then used a credit card. Is this your first Club Med and sounds like the first time at Punta Cana. Jamessite is a PC expert and very helpful and I was just there in May with my girl friend. Pirate was just there as well. Ask away with your questions and we may be able to help.

Jim
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
Remember if you try to get change, you will probably NOT get US currency. You will get Dominican pesos. Buying drinks for GOs at the bar is done alot. Just try not having bar people seeing you doing it for GOs.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
jkl2000
16 Posts
Jul
Ok, I can fit in a few more questions! And answers.

Jim, this is my first trip to a Club Med in about 16 years -- I went to the Paradise Island Club Med twice back then. Other than that I have no other experience at All Inclusive resorts. We went to Cancun twice in the last year, but we didn't do AI at the resort. Hence some of my questions.

About the bar again -- people going to Cancun AI resorts seemed to be concerned that there were long lines at the bars, and so they brought these big thermal mugs with them. Is this something people do at PC, or need to do? How are thre drinks? Weak? Do they only have mixed drinks and beer, or can I get something like a shot of tequila? Is there much of a choice?

Mind you, getting loaded is not my main concern at all -- I'm just wondering how freely the alcohol flows and what the choices are like.

Also, do they serve wine at dinner? I know they used to at Paradise Island.

Man - it's funny to think back to those days. My wife did a karaoki song. I wonder if we'll do stuff like that again or if we're too darn old now!
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
Wine is served at dinner. And they still do Karaoke at the bar. You are never too old to do what ever you want to do. The drinks are usually good and if you get friendly with certain bartenders, the drinks can get better as the week goes on.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
Chicago Jim
850 Posts
Jul
We were there when the club was pretty empty so it may differ when you are there. The service was good. It did get crowded before and after dinner so sometimes it was difficult getting a spot to sit and people ordering the blender drinks slows service down. Several good brands of liquor at no extra charge. I am sure with some of the higher end there maybe an additional charge. Also this is a family Club Med so there was less drinking.

Jim
jkl2000
16 Posts
Jul
Sounds good, Jim. As I said, I don't expect to drink large quantities. Just enough to that the shows seem hilarious!
SecretsUntold
33 Posts
Jul
JAMESSITE, have you found getting drinks for G.O.s to be a problem? I have been to several different CM's (not PC), but have never had any issues with openly getting G.O.'s drinks... and plenty of them. I'm just wondering if it has to do with the bar chief, CDV, village?
Chicago Jim
850 Posts
Jul
When I was at PC, I ordered a drink and then asked the GO if he wanted one and the bartender gave him somewhat of a dirty look. After that I asked the GO before the bartender came. My guess is that they do not want GOs to be "begging" or asking for drinks especially becau the GMs are not paying the Club for each drink.

Jim
Pirate15
182 Posts
Jul
it's not a huge problem but like Jim said, ultimately the club is losing more money if GMs are getting all the GOs drinks. I had a couple nasty bartenders notice me getting drinks for GOs and they said they had tickets to buy their drinks and in the future I shouldn't. Most didn't care how many I ordered or who they were for.

- Capt. Gigs -
Laurel
114 Posts
Jul
Early into one trip, I accidentally "bought" the chief of bar a drink. The bartender asked who the drink was for, so I pointed him out. Of course, the idiot had a huge grin on his face, the bartenders made a big commotion over it (I don't think this bar chief got as much female attention as he liked, and shame on me for giving him any! That single moment taught me such a lesson!), they told me who he was, and I didn't hear the end of it for some time. I am not so free with my drink offers to GOs these days!!
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
Jim and Pirate are correct. Not all GOs get along and if bartender does not like a GO you getting a drink for, there might be problems. I usually get drinks and bring over to the GO. Usually if you ask for more than 2 drinks at a time, someone might be suspicious. You just have to be careful when getting for a GO.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
jkl2000
16 Posts
Jul
Still here!

My wife said she read they still do the necklace thing for the bar at Club Med -- I thought they did away with that a long time ago, and that all drinks were included in the package price. Maybe they just did away with the bead thing? Do you still need a necklace, and if so, do you have to purchase it or is it included for everyone?
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
You get a bracelet when you check in. That indicates the age of the individual. I dont think you have to worry about your 7 year old trying to buy drinks though.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
Laurel
114 Posts
Jul
When you arrive at the village (or the airport), everyone will have a plastic bracelet put on his/her wrist. It snaps closed, so that it cannot be removed. The children have a different color, so that all under the legal drinking age may be identified. On my first CM trip, I found it to be rather bothersome. I scratched myself with it, it got in the way of my jewelry, etc. But now, I love them. It symbolizes my entry into another world. I absolutely hate to cut the bracelet off when I come home. I actually delay the removal of the bracelet for as long as I can, because that means the vacation is over, and I have crossed back into the real world!

The short answer to your question is: bracelet not necklace.
John-Chicago
1318 Posts
Jul
Laurel wrote:

I actually delay the removal of the bracelet for as long as I can, because that means the vacation is over, and I have crossed back into the real world!

Wow, how aptly put. On occasion I have actually forgotten to take it off and have gotten on the plane with my bracelet on. The flight attendants never said a word, which tells me that I'm not the first to do that. Also, if I remember right they had different colors for different weeks. You could tell the newbies by their different colored bracelet. Of course, the lack of a tan was another dead giveaway.

John
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
I know on our American Airlines flight back to NYC, there are guests from so many hotels down there. There is quite a collection of different bracelets from the various hotels. As we sit in the airport, I go through my digital camera to relive the vacation. Then I come home and put the pictures on line to share with all you guys. Then I print the GO pictures and ship them down to Punta Cana. I dont need the bracelet to help me remember. It just gets us into the next booking mode ASAP.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
superfred
202 Posts
Jul
I also keep my bracelet as long as I can my record is 4 months.
raab
528 Posts
Jul
The same thing for me, for the moment I kept my bracelet sine april 9th and I hope I won't put it off before my leaving on august 20 th.............well, not bad, just now: almost three and half months!!!
Annie ski
2 Posts
Jul
Hello
I was in Punta during the month of May and it is always well appreciated by the GO to receive drinks from the guests. However, yes you have to be careful to whom you're asking the drink. Don't ask it to the chief of Bar (french lady) or too many times in front of the CDV because you're gonna get the Go into trouble. They are allowed to receive 1or2 drinks per night from guests but it's easy to offer them more if the staff don't see you do it... Also, they are not supposed to accept the more expensive drinks...

Well, GOs received few bar tickets by months and they are quite expensive. so if you really think that a go is doing a great job, do it! He's gonna keep his few tickets for later! :)

Have a good trip!
Annie
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
Annie

Ah yes, I do know the French bar chef. The GOs who I did get drinks for were always careful as to who was working behind the bar.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
gaylynn
71 Posts
Aug
Wow!
It looks as though things in Punta Cana have changed! I was there in 2000 (my last village) and the bar had NO PROBLEM with GO's getting drinks from GM's. I used to get them on a regular basis. (As a matter of fact we drank more during "AA Week" than I can remember- but that story is for another time )
Anyway, I guess it all depends on who the Chief of Bar is. It was never a problem the whole 6 years I worked for the club. We were encouraged to get GM's to buy us drinks. Of course that was before "all inclusive".
As for the "original" topic of this discussion, GO's CAN receive tips, but it's very much on the hush hush. In the old days they used to give us bar ticket books, or they would just leave us whatever bar tickets they didn't use while they were there. I personally received cash a couple of times, but not very much.
I guess times have changed!

If anyone has been to Punta lately, how is it with over 2000 guests? They were still building the new part of the village when I left, so I can't imagine a full village with that may guests - and children! (I was Mini/Petit Club)
Gay
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Aug
Gay

Remember in 2000 there was not the all-inclusive feature. So GMs paid for GO drinks and so would just get more bar tickets. This of course made money for CM. Now with the all-inclusive, there is no money made with the giving of drinks.

You were there when Moises and Sonya were there? Even though we dont have children, we know many of the mini club GOs. I dont remember alot of the names from 2000 though. In more recent years there was Josie, Andrea, Sara. There were others but dont remember all their names.

Where you there for the grand re-opening at Christmas with the 2000 guests and the village not being ready for occupancy. That was a mess.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
gaylynn
71 Posts
Aug
Hi Jim,
Thanks for responding. Yes, I was there with Moises and Sonya. My chief of service was Sheila, in the Petit Club, but I did a few weeks with the new Mini Club after they opened it. It was one of the nicest I’ve seen in Club Med, next to the new one at Sandpiper.

I missed out on the all-inclusive feature (as I left in August of 2000) which must be nice. Do the GO’s get to cash in on that, or do they still have to pay for drinks? From the sound of the postings, it looks like still they make them pay. Why am I not surprised?

I also missed the grand re-opening. However, I can just imagine what it must have been like. That part of the Village was still under construction when I left, but it looked as though it was going to be difficult with 2000 guests there! Were you there for it, or did you just hear about it?

I heard that the Christmas before, when the village opened in 1999, that they weren’t ready either, and that there were major problems. Luckily I came in January, after it had all been taken care of.

Have you been to other clubs, and if so which ones? Perhaps we've crossed paths in the past??
Gay
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Aug
Gay

We were there for the reopening in 1999 and I felt most sorry for the GOs at reception. There was no A/C, some rooms had no or little water or electricity. Eposed electrical wiring along the walkways. Small items found in the pool. I learned that speaking nicely to the front desk got us a fan for our room. We also got alot of rebates that helped pay for our next two week vacation in its entirety. We met and still have many dominican GO friends who are there when we make our visits. Mainly in the restaurant area and reception area.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
gaylynn
71 Posts
Aug
Jim,
I heard things from GO's that were there, that were way worse than you're describing. But I did hear that the reception got the brunt of the complaints.

I heard they were finding tarantulas everywhere and throwing them at the reception, that the beach was completely trashed and the GO's had to clean it, and that the pool was real mess!

Anyway, I enjoyed my time there (8 months), it's a beautiful place now, and I'm anxious to back there for a vacation, when I can afford it!

Gay

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2014 - 8/1/2014 at 3:52:43 PM