Club Med La Plantation d'Albion

Information - Details - G.O's - News - Gallery - Car - Flights - Map - Quote Request

The club meds at Mauritius-language

FutureG.O.
6 Posts
Sep
I'm going to be going to both the Club Med's on Mauritius during my break from school during week 52. I have been studying French in school so I'm sure it'll be a great chance to use it.
What are the main languages spoken at the CM's there? Are are they spoken well? Caravelle had English but not the best in activities translations, and this would be nice to know ahead of time.

Punta Cana '04
Martinique '05
Club Med 2 (summer) '05
Bora Bora 'o5/o6
Marrakech '06
Punta Cana 'o6
Cancun '07
Ixtapa '08
Guadeloupe '09
Rio das Pedras '10

Please login or register to reply
Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Sep
The main languages at Club Med are in general French and English. Next to that, the language of the country the village is located (i.e. Italian in Italian villages, etc.).

Since I am a regular in Mauritius, I can tell you that La Pointe and Albion are very French (since it's also spoken on the island itself, English being the offical language though). The Mauritians speak Creole (a bit different from the Caribbean Creole) among themselves which you can understand a bit, if you're fluent in French.

Most of the GO team speaks pretty good English just like the CDV. The actual CDV Aziz in Albion is Moroccan and is multilingual. Maybe you know him from Rio das Pedras.
Announcements are made in French and English, since you'll find quite some South Africans, Australians and more and more SE Asian GMs there.

Usually, you'll also have at least one GO at either village from Italy, South Africa, Japan, maybe Korea or Tawain also.

Country information from CM's web page:
Official country name: Republic of Mauritius
Capital: Port Louis
Land area: 2,040 km²
Population: 1,250,000 inhabitants
Peoples and ethnic groups: the majority of the Mauritiens are of Hindu origin. The population of the island also includes French and Chinese elements. More than a quarter of Mauritians are Creoles
Languages: English, French, Creole
Religions: Hinduism (majority), Catholicism (30%), Islam (17%)
Political institutions: parliamentary democracy
President: Sir Anerood Jugnauth
Prime minister: Navin Ramgoolan
GDP: 14,930 million $US
GDP per capita: 12,215 $US
Annual growth rate: 5,1%
Inflation: 6,1%
Principal activities : The Mauritian economy is quite strong. The main wealth of the island comes from sugar cane, the textile industry, tourism and offshore financial services. Mauritius also produces tea and tobacco. The island has no mining wealth.
Principal partners: European Union, China, South Africa, United States

PS: Just curious, what nationality are you?
FutureG.O.
6 Posts
Sep
I'm American, my family and I really like Club Med's so I've been going to them since I was 9. And yes I remember Aziz, I'm excited to see him again. And that's great that there will be English spoken, Rio was quite the experience since no one in my family speaks Portuguese or Spanish, and very few G.O.'s knew English.

What's your favorite thing to do at the Mauritius CM's?

Punta Cana '04
Martinique '05
Club Med 2 (summer) '05
Bora Bora 'o5/o6
Marrakesh '06
Punta Cana 'o6
Cancun '07
Ixtapa '08
Gaudeloupe '09
Rio das Pedras '10

Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Sep
To start with, I love Mauritius. I'll be going back for the 10th time (7x La Pointe, 3x Albion) at the end of this month. I love the multicultual population and the food which is also a mixture between French/Creole/Asian. You can do marvellous excursions by boat, catamaran or bus. All worth doing. Riding the local bus is an event by itself. The people start talking to you immediately.

The two villages cannot be compared though. Both have - and +. You should read older posts and you'll understand.

At La Pointe, you'll have Karim Dos Santos, also multilingual.

Unfortunately, the food has gone down a bit at La Pointe. For the same money, I now prefer Albion despite the less nice beach. Everything else is just outstanding.

My favourite things are sailing and aqua gym. In Albion, I am usually doing the Thai Chi now. Too scared to try the flying trapeze in Albion though...

For how long will you be on the island and the two villages ?

Can't wait to be back !
FutureG.O.
6 Posts
Sep
9 days at La Pointe, and 5 days at Albion. I think you should try the flying trapeze! Even if you don't like it, atleast you tried it! I've done it a Punta Cana and Guadeloupe, and even though I'm not very good at it, its a great way to bond with the GO's for sure!
I've read some of the older posts about the differences and am ready to enjoy the best things that each have to offer.
I can't wait to go, it's been to long since the last time I was at a CM

Punta Cana '04
Martinique '05
Club Med 2 (summer) '05
Bora Bora 'o5/o6
Marrakesh '06
Punta Cana 'o6
Cancun '07
Ixtapa '08
Gaudeloupe '09
Rio das Pedras '10