Club Med Ixtapa Pacific

Ex Loyal Club Customer of 32 Yrs -back from Ixtapa

Exloyal
7 Posts
Feb
Ex-Loyal Club Med Customer of 32 Years!

If you had asked me a month ago if I intended to go back to Club Med, I would have told you 100% yes. Now back from 2 weeks in Ixtapa and my answer is probably never.

I have been going to Club Med myself for 32 years, since I was 6! My family has been going longer than that.

On any given year, our family of 8 usually books between 4 and 20 weeks at Club Med. And thats not counting the friends who come along on their own reservations.

Does that make us a good customer? Id say yes, especially since we usually book quite a lot of holiday weeks that are priced higher than low weeks. And we only book 4 and 5 trident clubs.

We were excited to go to Ixtapa. New remodeled club, small enough that we wont get lost in the crowd, and the kids love the baby and mini clubs.

Let me start by stating what we liked about Club Med Ixtapa:
- Small club, you dont have to walk miles to go back to your room
- You run into the same GM a lot, its easier to socialize with people
- Beautiful beach front location
- GO team is great, Chef de Village super professional and approachable

Now I am at a loss for good things, so I will continue on to what turned me off:

- When we arrived in our room, there were 2 guests there already, settling in, and to their credit, wondering why they had 4 beds and a crib in a double room! It kind of felt like we were getting a used room by the time they exited the room.

- We had a double room. I found clothes in the drawers of one of the kids beds. House cleaning obviously didnt do a great job at cleaning between guests.

- I had to call the front desk every day to get 4 bottles of water. Even though the front desk had requested daily delivery of 4 bottles for our room, we never got them. Tipping house cleaning $20 allowed us to get 4 bottles the next day, but that was it. Paying $5/bottle per day, going straight into the pockets of the house cleaning person, just didnt sound right to me.

- The sewer smell. Abominable! The club is bordered on the south by a used water treatment facility. The smell can be overwhelming at night! It smells like toilet and sewer. We complained to the Chef de Village, who admitted she had noticed the same thing, and called the person in charge over there to do something about it. There wasnt much she could do about it, we know that. Still, the smell was horrible.

- The harassment on the beach. There is a line that beach vendors can not cross to harass guests, and its the high tide mark. Security is supposed to enforce it, they dont care. I witnessed beach vendors move and turn towels on the lounge chairs on the inside of the tide mark (therefore where they are not allowed to go). They were looking for things to steal. I went to security and asked them if they spoke English. The answer was no, even though I had heard the guard speak English with a guest earlier during the day. So I switched to Spanish and explained what had happened. He did absolutely nothing to go check what the beach vendor had taken from the lounge chair, and yes, that person stole some items that she put in her blouse. So not only am I upset that the guard was refusing to speak to me, hoping to deter me with a no English spoken message, but I am upset that our security was totally overlooked. The people who came back from the water came back and found their stuff missing from the chair. They had been robbed right before security, security had been notified by me, and nothing was done! You have to wonder if security is in cahoots with these vendors. I had hoped that security had radioed to another guard on the beach to check that persons blouse, but when I checked with the other GMs who had been robbed, they told me no.

- GOs go two by two. I love GOs, I work with ex GOs, and have always enjoyed talking to them. Never before have I seen such a trend of female GOs walking 2 by 2, and chatting away, oblivious to the GMs. I expect this in high school, not in a GO team. Call me old fashioned at 38, but I was looking forward to a vacation without my blackberry and cell phone. It was tiring to see all these GOs with their phones and iPhones text messaging and emailing. I was looking forward to a relative technology free vacation, only to be confronted to the GOs and their constant texting and emailing!

- Group invasion. Little did I know that Ixtapa was partnering with various religious groups. No, the principle doesnt bother me, I love people from all different backgrounds, and the Club has to make money! What bothers me is the consequence of any large group taking over the club and making my presence at the club a bottom priority in the eyes of the GOs and the new GMs. I have been insulted at the bar, trying to get water for my kids, and prevented by this new group of GMs to access the bar. And then they looked at me and were commenting on the fact I didnt belong to their religious affiliation. Too bad for them that I actually am totally fluent in English, which they wouldnt have known as I was using French with my son, and that I understood everything they were saying. I didnt go on vacation to be insulted, especially by people who discriminate against people who dont belong to their group. Very lame.

- More Group Invasion: it is sad that suddenly a string appeared along the beach, tied to all the palm trees, with yellow caution tape every 2 feet. Totally ruins the landscape. But it is for that religious group, to keep the spirits away. Fine at peoples homes, but I dont think the Club should give into specials guests cosmetic or religious needs, bothering the rest of the GMs who paid their share and want to enjoy the amenities of the Club. I cant tell you how violently some GMs reacted to that, they were upset, very upset. I understand and I was sad: no more beautiful sunset pictures, the beach border looked like a construction zone. Not what I had paid for, obviously!

- More Group Invasion: even the staff was fed up, I caught GEs serving the food telling people that cerdo (pork) was indeed called chicken, to get them off their backs. It was interesting. Not complaining about the GEs here, but this group invasion had gotten on everyones nerves with their rude behaviors.

- More Group Invasion: there is a rule that states that only 2 GOs can sit at a table with GMs. With 350 people out of 600 present at the club from one group, it left very little opportunities for GOs to join GMs, so they were scrambling to join GMs tables who welcomed them and didnt send them away. We were flooded by GOs, and I felt like they were targeting us, there was no longer any option to have a nice family meal, GOs would flood our table and when they left, new GOs would ask if they could sit with us. We were in the business of entertaining GOs at our table. I enjoyed it, but some quality family time would have been appreciated. So we looked for tables that hosted exactly our party and no more, that was our only chance to have a meal without a revolving door or 4 to 6 GOs at our table to entertain, two at a time.

- Mini Club: Mini Club hours end at 530pm. Several times, we passed by our son in various areas of the club and were urged (read forced) to sign him out. We didnt want to leave him there all night, but had plans until 515-530 usually, but because on several instances we happened to run across the GOs and our son between 430 and 5, and since he was the last kid there, we were forced to cancel some activities to pick him up and release the GOs so that they could be done with their day..

- The lagoon is dangerous. Any lagoon is dangerous, but I heard some teenagers dare each other one night, our room was right over the lagoon. The lagoon is fenced by a 3 feet fence, yes, but if the rumors are true, there is an old alligator in there. It must be true as I saw the staff in charge of feeding him at work. Looks really dangerous to me with young and stupid tee
Please login or register to reply
ReefPolice
315 Posts
Feb
Sounds as if you had a really bad time....what a shame. I sure hope you've written all the same details directly to Club Med management, and not just posted here. They do need to hear from GM's when things are as bad as you report, and I think when they hear about such problems from someone like you, who has been a loyal GM for so many years and has experience with other Clubs to compare with this bad trip, it means a whole lot more. So please write to them if you haven't already.

Adria
Trish
476 Posts
Feb
I see from your post that you live in both America and France, so presumably you speak both English and French. If I were you, I'd send a letter detailing these problems in English to the CM HQ in the States and in French to the HQ in Paris. I'd be curious to know the reply you get from each.

Trish

Dive now; work later!
Jeffg88
19 Posts
Feb
Hey Exloyal, I see your point on alot of things and in a way can relate. Perhaps I dont have young kids like you but I have been to enough villages to understand a good village from a bad one. Concerning the rooms, Turks and Caicos had pretty bad rooms too with dirty beds, sewer smells from the toilet and ants everywhere but that village was fun despite and new it needed a facelift. The only thing I disagree with you on is GOs sitting with you because thats probably my favorite part. They are fascinating most of the time, and its better than meeting some weird GM.

The problem that I have with CM as an 18yr old veteran is that there is no loyalty program. You think they would throw in a free vacation or a better experience for long time users besides a lousy bottle of wine. Whats up with that? The long time CM goers are a dying breed as CM changes and caves to economic and social demands so I would assume theyd do a lot more to keep us around.Just a thought though

BTWtry Cancun, easily my favorite village
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Feb
I feel we are now an endangered species as old time GMs. When I sit at meals and talk with new GOs and GMs, they are amazed as to how things were without locks and TV and phones and safes in the rooms. The GOs at the 7 days a week of work without a day off. It is too bad there is no loyalty program and the current Gold/Silver/Turquoise program really gives no benefits, unless you get lucky and can get a nice room upgrade, but only if GOLD member. I dont think I will sit on my rocking chair and talk about CM, but prefer to go to villages and educate the NEW breed of GM and GO.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
John-Chicago
1331 Posts
Feb
Jim,
You hit on an interesting point. I doubt if I have gotten more charming as the years have gone by, but I have found that the GO's enjoy my company a lot more than being with other GM's. As one GO said to me at lunch, You really get it. She went on further to say that I understood the concept of the club, but equally importantly, I really understood what being a GO was all about and I treated them like real people, not instructors or just the "Help".

I think that is one thing that the "Old School GM's" bring to the table that GO's pick up on very quickly. They sense that you are different, in a good way.

John
Jeffg88
19 Posts
Feb
Jim and John, your both absolutely right. I prob didnt realize till after the trip how much the G.O's missed a GM like me. I made some really great friends and love the enrgy of the Brazilian, French and Mexican. Its not that i always offered to buy them drinks and talk to them at dinner, I asked about their family, prior life to CM, and future goals. Not surprisingly, most of them had bold aspirations and were very bright. I'd be shocked if I ever saw a GM abuse a GO or go off on a verbal rant to someone outside reception.

To be honest, I don't think American/Canadian G.O's fully understand the role and are still a bit standoffish (crazy signs, dinner time..etc). They still have a bit more training to go
kinners
52 Posts
Feb
Lack of "understanding the role" describes the situation well.

We got back from Cancun yesterday and there are not a lot of GO's who really get it. Many are standoffish and my husband got some big attitude from a circus GO. I heard complaints from other GMs about burned out GOs who seemed like they hated their jobs.

Not sure if this traces back to Eduardo's role at the helm of Cancun or Club Med's hiring practices, or the influx of local GO's where 90% of them are from Mexico and the international flavor has been lost somewhat. There's something amiss... it's hard to define where the "ball has been dropped", so to speak.
John-Chicago
1331 Posts
Feb
Kinners,
That is interesting that you mention that 90% of the GO's are local at Cancun. With a more diverse group of GO's it is an adventure, with locals, it's a job.

I once started a forum that was titled, The 400 Pound Gorilla, or something like that. It dealt with the replacement of GO's with GE's. I hope that this isn't a harbinger of this.

John
jojo4005
5 Posts
Feb
We too are loyal club med GMs. I fully agree with everyone in saying the feel of Club Med and all it's unique aspects are slowly dying. Our recent trip to Ixtapa was case in point. I found the food to be quite Americanized it has sure lost it's European flair, you can sure tell there is no longer a french pastry chef! At meals the service was terrible, I would get my own coffee in the morning and to get wine at dinner was very difficult. Annoying to always have to ask for water and wine, then you cross your fingers they come back.

We too were there with the "religious group" (I am really trying to be kind here!!!) and unfortunatley they previously have ruined 3 of our vacations!!!!! This year I did not check to see if they were booked into Ixtapa, thinking there is no way they would travel that far (we have seen them in Punta Cana and Cancun) and there they were. It is obvious that club med wants the money because the way these people treat the GO's and GM's is horrific. Once all these "people" leave it is quite funny to talk to the GO's and see how they hated them as much as the rest of us did. Not sure why Club Med put's it's employees through all the crap these "people" dish. Must say though the Chef de Village has great control of the GO's because they self control they have with them is amazing, I would lose it if people continually treated me so rudely. Advice - check with club med before you book to make sure they are not at your resort, we find they usually come the 3rd week of January. Sorry love the pork is chicken comment, thank goodness they had their own restaurant most of the time, eating at Cancun with them was UNBEARABLE!!!!!

Yes the vendors on the beach are terribly annoying!

We always had water in our room 4 bottles per day so maybe it depends on your cleaner.

Price difference are huge depending on your country. We live in Canada and Club Med Canada's prices are WAAAAYYY higher then Club Med USA so I just use a USA travel agent and get the US prices.

A positive note the nurse was excellent when we needed her, so much better service that we would have received here in Canada. There was a massive trapeze accident when we were there and club med was very quick to pretend it did not happen, hhmmm very interesting
whrez
159 Posts
Feb
These reviews are quite interesting. Ixtapa is a little far for us, connections not great, so although some of these things might not be total deal breakers, I would definitely want to know about sewer smells from water treatment facility. Ewww....

We also encountered a religious group in Punta Cana during our January stay. They really seemed to keep to themselves; there was very little intersection. Our stay only overlapped about three days, so perhaps I don't have a full perspective, but I'd say our stay was not at all diminished by the presence of this group. I guess I'm wildly naive but I actually thought it was cool that the village made the effort to accommodate the needs of the group so they were able to have a winter vacation like everyone else. (No, I am not a member of said group.) I'm sure CM makes money, but the village was near max and I'm sure they could have filled those rooms another way.

Not wanting to start an argument but did want to add a different perspective on the group encounter experience. Groups of sorts can be difficult and at times exclusive - there have also been reports about business conferences and how they threw off the GM dynamic. There are always complaints from the Americans about the French (or French speakers) at Punta Cana (another group, in a way, I guess) and the French-speakers on Macase have their share of complaints about the Americans at Punta Cana. It's all quite funny in a warped way.
ReefPolice
315 Posts
Feb
I agree that the "normal" social balance of any Club is upset when any large group basically takes over the Village. It really doesn't matter whether it's a religious group, a business conference, a sobriety group, or whatever. If you don't know about it until you arrive and have no natural affiliation with the group, it can really make your Club vacation less enjoyable than you have a right to expect it to be. I know there are many cases where a particular group just basically books the entire Village. If that is not the situation, but most of the rooms are block-booked by one large group that requires a change in normal routines within the Village, I think the Club reservations office should tell you when you make your reservation for those dates. This is definitely something you should be complaining forcefully to the Club about (if you haven't already); and I would hope they would offer you some sort of compensation, maybe a voucher for a future trip (for which you'd call ahead and make sure no large group was already booked at the same time).
But I don't think you can demonize any particular type of group; it's just the very fact that any large group would take over the Village and change the ambiance from what you would otherwise normally expect it to be.

Adria
John-Chicago
1331 Posts
Feb
A religious group at Club Med? That just strikes me as so bizarre. That's like a group of feminists enjoying a stay at the Playboy mansion. I have been to the club when there have been company groups there. If it is a small group relative to the club size, it is no big deal, because they keep to themselves. There was a business group when I was at Cherating about 3 years ago. They would go around singing company songs and playing "bonding" games, but maybe that's an Asian thing.

I was at Punta Cana in the old days when there was a big group of Michelin people there the first week. One effect was to have the GO's become your fast friends because they wanted to be with the normal GM's.

John
Todd F
5 Posts
Feb
We were in Ixtapa the week before a sobriety group had booked the entire village. This was the second time we had this happen, the first time was quite the suprise when all the alcohol was removed from behind the bar. There was also a business group staying there the same week we were.
Our only "problem" was that we were unable to stay through the second Sunday. We did have interesting conversations with GOs regarding how their jobs change with each different "group" that visits. It seems that many groups, including the visiting business group and the gay community groups, require no interaction with GOs or selective interaction.
It did seem odd that there were many GMs from the sobriety group that started their vacation during the time that we were there. We made friends with some and I felt uncomfortable drinking in front of them, especially when getting shots for the GOs and others with us - not that it stopped me, just maybe reduced my consumption (probably for the better). My wife also overheard a sobriety guest complaining on the Friday night (our last night) that they did not think there should be wine served during dinner while they were there. Maybe that person should have waited until their week started to get to the village. But other than that incident, we would not even have known who was part of the sobriety group unless the topic came up in conversation with them.
Our first annual trip to CM was nine years ago and there was a group that required parts of the Ixtapa beach be sectioned off for their personal use. I don't remember if having an affect on our stay, but it was our first and we may not have known any better. In reading other posts, it appears that we have been lucky to not being affected negetively.
ReefPolice
315 Posts
Feb
You know, sometimes a smaller group can annoy other GM's also, such as when the annex restaurants are blocked off for private parties (weddings, etc.) and unavailable to anyone else; but this is usually just for one day or so, and not such a big deal and most other people in the Village are good natured about it. (Although I have heard some GM's throw tantrums when they can't get a reservation at the specialty restaurant because it's been entirely booked for a wedding dinner.)
As far as drinking in front of a "sobriety guest", I don't think you need to worry about that. Anyone who choses to come to the Club as a GM at a time when the Village has not been booked for a totally sober week is most likely someone who would not have a problem being around other folks who drink. If it were really a problem, that person would have waited to come until the start of the special week, when all the other sober GM's would be there. (I have friends who have gone to Clubs specifically for those types of weeks. It's more than just not having wine in the dining room; they also have AA meetings and other recovery-type programming on the schedule, in addition to the regular sports activities, etc.)

Adria
absolutpth
2 Posts
Feb
Hello, My name is Patrick and I work for the Club Med Marketing Department.
I'm disappointed to hear about your experience at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. I've shared your feedback with appropriate teams internally and we are looking in to each of the concerns that you expressed. As you've indicated, you're a valuable customer to Club Med and we are truly sorry to hear about your last vacation. We have notified the customer service team who should be reaching out to you shortly.
ReefPolice
315 Posts
Feb
Hi, Patrick. Very nice to see that the Club Med Marketing Dept. is reading and responding to these Boards! (I'm not the GM who had the problem, but I was sure that if it were brought to your attention some sort of accomodation could be worked out.)

It's a very smart move for the Club to be responsive when long-time loyal GM's are not happy. Some GM's come once and that's it. But I'm sure you understand that those of us who have been going to Club Med "forever" really help keep the Club Spirit going, and are more likely to keep returning (and bringing friends & family) when we know the Club does care whether we are happy or not....
(moi, I'm happy, pas de problem.)

Adria
jojo4005
5 Posts
Feb
Yes it is nice to know that Club Med is reading and responding to the boards. We too are loyal club med customers, having visited an Iberostar one year and vowed after that to only return to club med properties.

A couple comments, we too were there over the sobriety change over. These GMs did stand out to us as they did not "look" like a typical family GM as the rest of us. They did comment very loudly that they hated all the children there (funny since at that point the resort must have only been 1/4 full). Hmmm not sure why they would come early if the resort is specially booked for them. On that note this private booking did cause us to have to come one week earlier hence our overlapping with the New York group. Maybe club med should only do private bookings on the off season? We did have time before we left for the airport and all the booze had been taken away, luckily we were able to beg the bartender that we were not part of the group and wanted to sit and have one more drink before heading back home so he ran in the back and make our drinks! Back to the New York group, I understand that certain groups can throw off a resort dynamic but this group is unique, you have to experience them to understand. The families all have 4-5 kids making all activities for other children/adults over loaded. They do not register their kids in the mini club but let them roam all over the resort, they show up at an activity and demand a turn. It was also not uncommon to see a 2 year old running all over with a 7 year old watching them with no parents in sight. Due to their loud and obnoxious nature, it is really hard to sit, relax and enjoy your holiday. Good luck getting a drink at the bar as the parents and children will step in front of you and demand a drink. I think Club Med really needs to talk to GMs and GO's for that matter and see if it is really worth letting this group book year after year. Maybe keep them to one resort and warn all GM's booking that there may be issues and to look at another resort. My husband did talk to one of the women in this group and when he told her we had "experienced" them 3 times she said, 'you should know by now not to book when we are here".

We do love our club med and will hopefully be back next year hopefully in February, if the price is right!

shari
489 Posts
Feb
Been following this thread for awhile. While I'm sure having groups is profitable to CM, clearly they are doing some damage with their loyal GMs. I honestly never thought of asking my travel agent if a big group would be there during our travel time, but you can bet I'll be asking her now if we go back! I've now visited a non-CM twice in a row, and although there were 10+ weddings during the week, they know how to run it like a well-oiled machine, making sure that the other guests are not inconvenienced or "locked-out" of certain any activities or resort areas. If CM doesn't see it that way, then they clearly don't need my business after 18+ years of trips. A shame, but just one more thing I need to weigh when deciding where to spend my leisure time.

~Shari
Exloyal
7 Posts
Jul
Well, I haven’t been on this forum since I last posted my sad and disappointed experience 6 months ago. I just realized Patrick had made a comment about the marketing department contacting me – just to set the record straight, it hasn’t happened. I haven’t received one single communication from Club Med – France or USA headquarters.

I have also complained directly to Club Med – asked them if they would be willing to do a ‘geste commercial’ which in English would translate into a ‘business incentive’ to retain us – after all, I am trying to book 9 people for Christmas for 2 weeks this year. The answer was simply no, we won’t do that.

Kind of sad – the bill is close to $50,000…..I will take them somewhere else I guess!

To add a comment on the loyalty program, CM has their own version: keychains and some really weird looking (read ugly) statues that they left in our room to thank us for our business. I was even too embarrassed by the gross gift to give it to the cleaning staff to keep or sell.

I have been looking back on my first trip to CM Senegal when I was 6 years old with my parents (before it burned) – pictures of the buffet were absolutely breathtaking. The GOs were absolutely wonderful….I have found one of them online, who was really kind and patient with the little girl I was back then. I have a ton of fond memories of the friends I have made over the years, the GOs, the ski instructors, the shows, the fun and the experiences there. No one can take this back. Those memories are mine and they are worth the world to me. Yes, it’s very sad that CM has evolved, than the rooms now have locks, that parents will no longer feel safe leaving their kids sleeping in the rooms while they go and have fun. So much has changed….I remember learning how to do multiplication tables on the necklace of little plastic balls used for drinks at the bar. That was cool.

Ultimately, I had a great 32 years of CM vacations…..so it’s not all that bad. Still I would have preferred to not end it on a bitter and sour note! No one wants to go down in flames for their last flight, right?
Exloyal
7 Posts
Jul
Quick update: mistake on my part, I didn't realize that there was actually a message from Patrick on the mail tab of this forum. I thought they would have access to my profile and would email me directly.

So I give them credit for reaching out to me, and have responded to them. I will update the forum as to the outcome of this process of course!

best to all and thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us. It's nice to know I am not the only one to miss the good old days!
GODJ
1339 Posts
Jul
CMP is not an official Club Med site so they do not have access to your profile information. I hope that the message was a positive one.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Trish
476 Posts
Jul
Hi "Exloyal",

I too, would be curious to see how they responded.

And Adria - I just had a thought: I hope nobody at CI in June thought the Reef Police was "taking over"!!! Actually, the only place we really took over was on the dive boat when we had to change sites due to current, etc. As the Reef Police people were the ones who knew the dive sites from previous visits, the captain usually went with our suggestions. But I don't think anyone on the boat cared because they were usually good ones!

Dive now; work later!
Padre
585 Posts
Jul
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. It really sucks to pay good money for a product/service that has dropped in its level of quality. It is my belief that a lot of the people that hold main office positions at the club have never spent any real time working in the clubs and they just don't get it. If they did have time in the trenches it was probably in some position where they didn't get much time interacting with the GMs and most likely not for a full season. Too many self-important people here coming up with ideas that look good on paper but don't really work well in real life. Get used to it. This has been a growing trend in more than a few industries. We can always go elsewhere but sooner than later our only option will be an inflatable kiddy pool in the backyard and a cooler of beer. Now please pardon me as I have to go inflate the last ring.

Oh, one other thing from your original post;

"old alligator in there" and "But there is no warning Captain Cooks favorite enemy in there!

It was Captain Hook and a crocodile.

Padre...www.clubmedxgo.com
Scuba GO's, we go deeper, stay down longer and
keep you wet for hours...Dive deep, live shallow
Exloyal
7 Posts
Jul
Abdellabdella - I took the liberty to use alligator instead of crocodile....but I don't think I will dare telling my kids that I mis-spelled Captain Hook's name.....2 options: I will now only use the French name (Capitaine Crochet), or you can just guess that I have been spending too much time looking at the Cook Islands, where I am dying to go LOL LOL LOL

So far, no one has responded to me, but then it may take them time to go through these posts, especially if those are not corporate forums. I have been trying to lobby my family for another stay in Punta Cana where we had a great experience 2 years ago - and I am being told in no uncertain words 'NO'.

The power of democracy in modern families! LOL
Chicago Jim
863 Posts
Jul
If your family does not want to go to PC, then you should go to Turks-ALONE.

Jim
Exloyal
7 Posts
Jul
Ah ah ah! Alone time? Nice....wishful thinking for a mom of several opinionated young kids! :)
jojo4005
5 Posts
Jul
ex loyal - where is the club med response - would LOVE to hear what they said since I experienced all the same issues as you
Exloyal
7 Posts
Jul
Jojo - sorry, no response to report from corporate yet.

I am curious - when did you experience the same issues? Was it at the same unfortunate time, or was it more recently?
ReefPolice
315 Posts
Jul
>>>>[quote]Originally posted by Trish

Hi "Exloyal",

I too, would be curious to see how they responded.

And Adria - I just had a thought: I hope nobody at CI in June thought the Reef Police was "taking over"!!! Actually, the only place we really took over was on the dive boat when we had to change sites due to current, etc. As the Reef Police people were the ones who knew the dive sites from previous visits, the captain usually went with our suggestions. But I don't think anyone on the boat cared because they were usually good ones! <<<<

Dear Trish: no worries. GM's & GO's alike are always happy to see our bunch show up....after all, we come with candy & toys for all! (disregard all the horror stories your mother told you about taking candy from strangers; we become friends very quickly.) As you saw, aside from J-P, Steph, & Aniela, the scuba team was mostly very young & we all knew the nuances of the dive sites better than they have had time to learn yet. (we'd better after so many years!) Usually my brother Yanick is there for 3 months each season to show them; this year Chuck & Fred had to try to fill the gap. You didn't see anyone unhappy on the boat, I'm sure.....
(the tip off is when the Boutique team keeps telling us that GM's come in every day asking if they can buy the Reef Police hats; happens every summer. But, as you know, they can't be bought; must be bestowed, and we were proud to add you to the roster.)

And, of course, another major difference is that we are not an "official" corporate or other type of group who has booked the majority of rooms and requested any change of regular Club routines.
We are just a loose bunch of old-time GM's who have miraculously found each other over the years, become very close friends, and try to synchronize our trips to be together whenever we can.....BIG difference. Wish you could have stayed longer this time.....mais peut-être a la prochaine!

But to return to the original topic, what I'd like to say to the original poster, as a long-time GM (hooked by first trip in 1974; many trips every year since then), is that I am always so sad to hear bad experiences that should not have happened. Yes, I agree that the corporation Club Med has grown into is not the same as the family owned & run entity we old-timers remember. But I do know that there are still folks in top management who did come up the old-time Club way, starting as GO's. I'd say keep contacting the Club with your gripes until you get to one of those people who will "get it" and not give you a generic "sorry, but.." response. They are there, and I'm betting none of them has seen your complaints. They will try to make amends if they can, and if you suggest a reasonable solution. I've seen it happen; but it can take several (polite but assertive) tries until you get to someone who has the ability to "fix" your problem.
If it were me, I'd give the Club another chance (as I would for any old friend) before deciding to walk away forever from all the good times you say meant so much to you before. Tell them what you've told us, how much the Club has been a part of your life until this one bad experience. You can't ask the Club to ban any particular group whom you found annoying, of course; but you certainly can berate their reservations people for not informing you that most of the Village would be block-booked for such a large group that it would change the nature of the usual Club experience for you & basically ruin your vacation. (Unless the block-booking was made AFTER you had already booked your trip, in which case I'm not sure what you could have expected them to do.) Certainly you can ask them what to do in the future to try to ensure that any other trips you want to plan would not be at the same time as other large groups who would require changes in "normal" Club routines. I hope you can reach someone in a position to help you.....

Adria
jojo4005
5 Posts
Jul
We were there at the end of January beginning of Feb of this year and it sounds like we ran into the same group! Already booked for next year and going a bit later in February hoping to vacation with a better crowd.
Exloyal
7 Posts
May
So, I thought I would follow up on the experience. Yes, I did write to Club Med. And no, they haven't done anything, other than ignore me.

I had received a private message from a Club Med employee in marketing, asking that I contact him. I did so. Provided him with all kinds of ways to contact me.

They never did.

I guess it's a one way street: Club Med wants it all, but doesn't want to admit something is wrong!

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2014 - 11/23/2014 at 12:59:52 PM
T: +1 786 533 3025