Club Med La Plantation d'Albion

Information - Details - G.O's - News - Gallery - Car - Flights - Map - Quote Request

Feedbacks 2010+2011

Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Nov
So, here are my impressions I want to share with you regarding Albion.

The flight (Zurich via Dubai by Emirates) went smoothly and without any incident. I was the only GM arriving, so I had a taxi just for myself. Arrived at the village and there were some GOs standing in two lines. Wow, this is what I thought. So many GOs for just one GM. Well, as a coincidence, I knew quite some of them having met them in La Pointe or other villages. But the thing is, there was a coach arriving behind me with a group of Italian GMs and the GOs were in fact waiting for them. But nonetheless, my welcome was more than stunning.

I had a superb Club room right behind the reception which was very convenient, because I like to go back to my room during the day. While the buildings around the zen pool have a better view, I find it less convenient, although there are buggies that give you a ride.

The room is fantastic. Very large bed, a sofa bed and some chairs. Lots of closets, a filled minibar (soft drinks, beer and snacks). The shower is just awesome, just like the bathtub. I felt immediately comfortable, once I had everything unpacked.

The village was filled to some 50 %. Since there are different parts like the beach, the main pool and the zen pool, the village may seem sort of empty during the day. But in the evening, everybody gathers around the bar. It was a good nationality mix. French, Belgians, Italians, Germans, quite some Swiss from the French part, some South Africans and SE Asians. Very few kids, just some teenagers who had come with their parents.

The GO team did an outstanding job. Since I knew lots of them before, also from Phuket 2008, making new contacts was very easy. They also would present you to other GMs you might like.

The sports activities are very varied. Lots of GMs seem to like the flying trapeze, the only one in Mauritius. It's team is outstanding and they did some great evening shows. I was particularly happy to find again Gabriele from Italy whom I had met in Djerba La Douce during the tsunami in 2004. The sports team is run by Ali from Morocco. In my opinion a potential new CDV. He's doing a very good job.

Weather was more than perfect. Nice and warm during the day, but not yet hot and humid. The evenings were cooler and one needed a pashmina.

Food was absolutely best I've ever had. Lots of dishes are prepared in front of you and you can tell them how you want the meat or whatever done. Also, everything is very pleasantly displayed. I should have taken photos of the fruit, dessert and sushi counter... Wonderful to look at and even better to eat!!

I was slightly afraid the sailing would be too difficult because the lagoon is a lot smaller compared to La Pointe. But everything went perfectly. Sometimes, winds would be a little rough, so the GOs would make sure only confirmed sailers would go out. The team organized a weekly beach party, the armada and a regata. Lots of fun, as always.
I also did the aqua gym and sometimes the power walk which was at 8.30 AM though...

Albion is a little more isolated compared to La Pointe. But I had no wish to go to Port Louis or wherever. The small village is pretty residential (the British ambassador has his house there), but some small shops start to pop up. Mainly, there is the Dodo supermarket very near the sailing house, in case one needs something.... like a bottle of Green Island Rum or whatever!

I once went to La Pointe (some 35€, takes about 1 hour) to say hi to everybody. I had very strange feelings, since La Pointe used to be my favourite village for years. Now, I am not that sure anymore. Also, it's not really worth the 4 Tridents and the differences are pretty significant compared to Albion, although a 5 Trident, where everything is just top notch.

One day, some GOs who were off and myself went by taxi towards the south of the island. Superb beaches, lunch in a small very typical bar and relaxing on the beach of Blue Bay. Just awesome. Back to Albion on the seaside road with awesome beaches and great views. At Le Morne, lots of kite surfers. In fact, it's the best spot on the island for that sport. Nice to look at.

The evenings were very classy with extremely good shows. The choreographer Corentin is doing a superb job. Also, lots of good dancers in the GO team, not to mention the costume designer, Jean-Noël, which I've known for years already.
I liked the place so much that I decided to stay a little longer. But still, the last day arrives nonetheless and leaving was very hard indeed, especially since we're heading into the winter season in Europe. I am sure I'll be back.

Special thanks to the whole GO team which is pretty much going to change for the winter season and to Karim who is doing a very good job in a village which IMO is not that easy to run.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to answer.
Just do NOT ask which of the two villages on Mauritius Island I prefer...
A question that can't be answered. The two villages are just too different and both have advantages and disadvantages.

Hope to be back in Mauritius - whichever village - very soon!

Please login or register to reply
Trish
476 Posts
Nov
Nice review - sounds like you had a great time! (Although I sense a bit of conflict there re the two villages - oh, to have such a conflict in my life! )

Bisous,
Trish

Dive now; work later!
Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Nov
Haha, Trish.

I can sum it up like this:

La Pointe is my home.
Albion is my castle.

John-Chicago
1318 Posts
Nov
Kiki,
I am so disappointed in your review! No mention of a chocolate fountain like Phuket!

John
Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Nov
John,

Indeed, I forgot to mention it. Sorry about that. And it was even larger and much higher than the one in Phuket.
Forgot to take a picture though...
I think it was there even every day. Some GOs used to pour hot chocolate over their marshmallows...
But since I am not a huge fan, it was of no great importance to me.
They had such great desserts and fruit that the chocolate fountain was definitely mediocre with all that.

Oh, and I forgot to write about the champagne!
Free champagne (the real one) as from 6 PM onwards! Yup!
Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Apr
Back after three weeks in Albion. It was almost like coming home.

Again, a most perfect holiday and even better, but much hotter compared to last October.

Other than that, not much to add, just that I got an upgrade to business class on Emirates from Dubai to Mauritius. Perfect, the seat can be turned into almost a bed! Bulgari toiletries and whatever you wish to have. Almost didn't want to leave the plane, but then, Albion is even better!

If you have any questions, just ask. However, the team is going to change considerably these days. The new CDV came for one week on holiday. I met him already years ago in Hammamet. Very curious on how he will manage this resort with lots of regulars with lots of expectations.

Karim and his team did again a most outstanding job, especially regarding the evening shows, the decorations, the food, etc.

A big thank you to all of you!

For those leaving to Phuket soon, you'll love it as well.
Bonne chance, mainly to Ali, Corentin, Robert, etc.
Maybe, I'll see you there next spring.

And Marina, have a great season in Bintan!!

Well, being back home is hard enough, but the next holiday will come one day... for sure.
Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Nov
OK, back home for about two weeks already, but still suffering from post-CM-blues...... Well, I stayed for almost three weeks, yup!

Albion was superb again. Nice and warm during the days, a bit windy evenings though. There is still no fireplace near the main bar... and it's windy all over.

Food is still outstanding, mainly at Le Phare restaurant near the zen pool where one eats à la carte admiring the big waves.
Free champagne as from 6 PM !

Lots of the GOs are leaving these days, so no point listing them here. I knew most of them from previous stays and some others for a long time, mainly Maurtitians who came back.

The GM crowd was a good mix of French, Belgians, Swiss, Germans, Italians, South Africans and some Chinese. Yup, they've got flight to/from Hongkong and Shanghai now. Very few kids around.

Shows weren't as good as they were on previous stays, Corentin having left for Phuket and going to Japan soon!

As for the CDV, I liked Karim better than Aziz, but that's my personal view. Yuri, the CDS, did an outstanding job. He'll be leaving for Le Riad (Marrakech) soon.

Flights with Emirates via Dubai were again truly a delight, mainly the upgrade into business on the flight back to Dubai. Yup, it's definitely superb to travel that way. Loved every bit of it!

Finally I went to the horse races in Port Louis. What a great event, especially when you bet on the horses. Other than that, a day in La Pointe, of course, visit the brand new shopping mall in Bagatelle and a day at the beach in Flic-en-Flic. Gorgeous and lively, since it was on a Sunday.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions.

@John-Chicago: the chocolate fountain is still there !
John-Chicago
1318 Posts
Nov
Kiki,
How nice of you not to forget me on your wonderful vacation! You are making this my favorite club that I haven't been to! What a wonderful experience.

I have a question. I have heard great things about Emirates Airlines. What's your opinion? Last year they started to fly into Chicago. Strangely, I saw a whole crew, in uniform, at our local Farmer's Market, where farmers from the area sell their produce. Do you know what they were excited about?-Apples. I guess they don't grow any in the Emirates, so it is an exotic fruit to them. They tried the Honey Crisp variety and loved it. It is the most incredible variety in the world.

John
Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Nov
John,

Emirates is most likely the best airline I've ever used, next to Singapore. The difference is just obvious, even in economy (more legroom, huge choice of movies). I don't even talk about business where you have almost a bed and superb food and wines à la carte.

Dubai airport is their huge hub. You see tons of A380, it works 24/24h, shopping is outstanding and a lot cheaper than anywhere else.
The lounges are great. Excellent food (incl. champagne), newspapers, free internet access, showers, etc.). Their crew is composed by all nationalities, apparently, they pay better than anybody else, BUT you're based in Dubai and that is not everybody's cup of tea.
Well, no idea what they were so excited about the your local market, since you can get just about anything in Dubai. However, I was never tempted to make a stop-over there. It's mainly very modern, good for shopping and some days at the beach. Outstanding hotels though. And there is even a center where you can ski and an ice-skating rink !

Emirates has an excellent reputation together with Qatar (home hub: Doha) and Etihad (home hub: Abu Dhabi). They have daily flight from Zurich and Geneva to Dubai where you can continue to just about anywhere in Asia.

I am now a silver member (i.e. frequent flyer) similar to what you have with Club Med. That may be the reason for the upgrades when the eco is overbooked. Not to forget, I like the cut in the middle of the trip (twice some 6 hours). A 12 hours nonstop flight is somewhat of a nightmare for me.
Katie
40 Posts
Nov
Great to hear about your trip Kiki, so sad to think how time has flown since I was in Albion in August. How wonderful that you made it to the races, especially since Champ de mars is the oldest race course in the southern hemisphere! Did you like the white night with dinner in the theatre? I loved it, felt like much more of a xmas or new years CM style event rather than just a friday night! Inclusive a la carte at Le Phare was also another plus! Wish I could frequent Mauritius as often as you do, I would love to visit again sometime!
Kiki de M
2827 Posts
Nov
Katie,
I had three white nights, but only the first one was with dinner in the theater. After, we were too many GMs and we had dinner at the resto followed by the white night show and dance floor/bar in the theater.

Well, I am not that close to Mauritius either. From door to door it's around 22 hours !
What about you from Australia? It's about the same, no?

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2014 - 7/30/2014 at 11:04:26 AM