Club Med La Caravelle

WIFI at La Caravelle

red_au_soleil
24 Posts
Oct
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
I haven't been to La Caravelle for several years, but may head there this winter. I noticed that Club Med is now advertising wifi in the lobby area, but at additional charge. Does anyone know how they charge for access? Per minute? Flat fee per week or vacation? Any idea of how well it performs? Last time I was there using their iMacs, it was very slow. I'm surprised they think they can charge for wifi. We're well into the 21st century last I checked. I haven't seen a charge for wifi access for a long time, although I haven't been out of the states for a while. Maybe it is different in other parts of the world.
Please login or register to reply
sbphyn
57 Posts
Oct
I was there 2 years ago... I had to pay for Orange? I think you could pay for a certain amount of time or the whole week. From what I remember, you could only use it in a small space, upstairs by the front desk, kind of a pain, because there isn't really tables or anything to use to put your computer from what I remember, but it has been a bit! I used my phone and the computers there, but it was REALLY slow! Maybe things have gotten better!
red_au_soleil
24 Posts
Oct
Thanks for the info. I'd be using my iPod Touch, so table is not necessary. I've used their iMacs before, and also remember that they are slow. I've sent an email to Club Med regarding current offering (where, how much, bandwidth, etc.), and haven't heard back from them. I'll post what I hear from them here.
red_au_soleil
24 Posts
Oct
Here's what I received from Club Med:

We apologize for the delay! We have contacted la Caravelle, but have not yet gotten a response. Below you will find information from 2009. As soon as we have any updated information we will forward it to you. Again, this is the most current information that we have, please note that it is subject to change:

Club Med la Caravelle internet provider is Orange Caraibes. There are 4 packages available:
1 Hour connection during 1 Hour 7€
24 hours connection during 24 Hours 24€
4 hours connection during 7 days 25€
35 hours connection during 7 days 50€

The WIFI is available in the Reception lobby but NOT in the guest rooms.

This seems outrageous to me. I'm used to free wifi everywhere. Maybe that's only in the states. Still seems really high for something as basic as internet access.
GMforever
154 Posts
Oct
Thanks for the info

We will be at Caravelle Xmas day
red_au_soleil
24 Posts
Nov
If you learn anything about wifi while you're there, please post the information. Things like cost, availability, performance, uptime (guess that's the same thing as availability), etc. would be interesting. Also, if you go into Ste. Anne, maybe you could notice if there are any businesses offering internet (like cafes).
GMforever
154 Posts
Nov
I will check it and post it when I come back

GMforever
154 Posts
Dec
Hi from the Caravelle. Free Wifi at the reception, bar and restaurant.
Slow. As my room is next to reception, sometime I can text from the bed!
I did go to St Anne. I will be posting my review of Caravelle on TA

Happy new year
red_au_soleil
24 Posts
Jan
Free is good. Slow I can put up with if it is free and not too slow. Thanks for the info. Hope you had a great stay. Happy New Year to you and to anyone else reading this!
red_au_soleil
24 Posts
Jan
quote:
Originally posted by GMforever

Hi from the Caravelle. Free Wifi at the reception, bar and restaurant.
Slow. As my room is next to reception, sometime I can text from the bed!
I did go to St Anne. I will be posting my review of Caravelle on TA

Happy new year

Thanks. What is TA?
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jan
TA = Tripadvisor

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/20/2024 at 4:13:14 AM