Club Med Kemer

Home from Kemer

jojos girl
182 Posts
Jul
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
What an experience!!!

I was able achieve the perfect balance between excursions and partying - which was my basic goal.

As far as the club, itself, the first thing that you'll notice is that it is massive and that you must climb steps and ramps to get anywhere. So, don't feel guilty if you don't feel like hitting the gym, you will come home with buns of steel!

The rooms are lovely with great A/C and excellent water pressure. There are TVs and telephones but, no voicemail (big problem) no clocks (wake-up calls are inconsistent so, take a travel clock) no frig for cooling water and fruit, and no coffeemaker for that first good jolt in the morning. Housekeeping is quite consistent, though.

The CDV, Olivier Sanchez, is super. Very visible which is my only measuring tool. Very engaging and involved in everything. I was most impressed that he greeted eveyone at, almost, all lunches and dinners - at the entrance and, then, table-hopped. (As an aside, Olivier will be in Cancun in six weeks and is going to attempt to do something to make a separated section for adults who would like come back - details will follow.)

I was told that the club holds 1200 people and that, at least, eighty percent are Parisians. I did manage to have a great time with people I met from France from outside of Paris, as well as Belgian, Italian and Israeli GMs and GOs.

There was only one Canadian person in the place and I didn't meet him so, I won't address all of North America. However, United States citizens are unwanted and unwelcomed by the huge Parisian population (GM AND GO, alike) and they let me know that every chance they got. I happened to have studied French and, although, I don't speak much at home, after the first day or so, it started to come back enough for me to adequately communicate to be understood and, certainly, to understand every nasty comment. I was pushed and shoved out of the way-in the restaurant, in the snorkel boat, at the bar, in the nightclub- and one night in the nightclub, one of them picked me up off of the ground and, literally, tossed me aside to pass me while his friends watched and chuckled.

The beach(es) are ugly but, the Meditteranean is fabulous. I solved this little glitch by spending almost every afternoon on the snorkel boat offshore. There isn't much to see but, you can swim in the sea and sunbathe on the deck from 3-5P out in the middle of the sea. It's much more comfortable than staying at the club - cooler temps and no having to navigate dirty, rocky beach.

The shows are quite professional productions but, not well rehearsed.

The food is fabulous in both restaurants. The buffet in the main restaurant is more fun but, the sit-down/table service at the speciality restaurant is a nice change.

Also, White Night and the visit to the Moonlight Arena are a must but, beware everything everywhere outside of the club is very expensive. (By the way, so is the Boutique.)

The excursions are amazing! Due scheduling, I did have to leave a couple for another time so, you will have to pick and choose. I chose Perge/Aspendos, Demre/Myra/Simena and Phaselis with the help of the excursion GO. Bring shoes with tread (flip-flops will not do well)and a hat/cap is a must, as well.

I tried to make this review as balanced as possible, and, although, I leave it to my fellow Americans to decide how much aggravation they are willing endure on vacation. For me, it was well worth it in the final analysis. I exchanged email addresses with quite a few people and over all had a once in lifetime experience that I will never forget.

Anything I forgot? Any questions?
Please login or register to reply
muevelo ktana
23 Posts
Jul
Hi jojos girl!
Thank you so much for the report. I'm really glad to hear you had a great time even with the nasty remarks. I guess it's hard to ruin a holiday at Kemer but still, I think it's not nice and doesn't go well with C.M spirit as I see it…
I'm booked to Kemer in 8 weeks (actually – 55 days, but who's counting ...), and I wanted to ask you about the coming absence of the CDV. I heard so many good things about him, and I'm worried: who is going to replace him while he's gone?? Do you happen to know or have any more details?
Thanks! And I hope you'll post some pictures soon!

jojos girl
182 Posts
Jul
I travelled 10,000 miles. No one was going to ruin my great adventure. Thanx for the thought, though. I really appreciate it. And, you are right, none of these people understand the CM spirit of being a worldwide family.

Olivier just found out that he was leaving while I was there. I am not sure he was told who his replacement is, yet. I'll try to find out from him sometime next week.

Also, I, totally, get the counting thing - I'll be back home in Turkoise in 119 days, myself!!!!

You will have a great time if you experience as much of the country and its people, as possible.

I will post pix in the next week, or so.

One last addition to my review: The Reception and Bar Teams only have a select few who are competent. I will give you the names of the people to deal with before you leave.
amink
70 Posts
Jul
It really is horrible that you were treated like that jojo...reading your post right now really astounded me with how rude people can really be.
I'm really surprised that even with your attempts to speak French with them that you were treated so badly! In my experience in Punta Cana & Martinique once I tried speaking French, even if I failed horribly, there was some semblance of appreciation from the French.
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of nasty comments were they throwing your way?? I'm really curious as to what they were trying to pick apart about Americans while you were there!
It really is such a shame that especially at a place like Club Med, where it ALWAYS has been an international community, that people will go out of their way to be bigots and judgmental.

I'm glad to hear though that you're still "glass half full" about your trip! Had I been in your place, I'd be hard pressed to be a happy camper!

Ashley
indiana
480 Posts
Jul
I am sorry that you had poor experience with some French GMs. I use French as an icebraker, and the people I interacted with have been quite nice. I can tell you that many French can speak English, at least in intermediate level, however they will not show it at first. In all the villages that I have been, I rarely I met impolite GMs ( and GOs) of all nationalities, and I avoided them.
I think Kemer is an authentic CM (hard to find nowadays), in your second trip you will get more out of it. Try Sept-Oct, the price will be lower, and the weather will not be that hot.
Prices in Turkey are high relative to the US due to overvalued local currency, and they overcharge the tourists ( you have to bargain).
How was the nightlife, the music at the disco, the crazy signs, the foam party, the water party? I know the bar service ( due to overdemand) and the quality of alcoholic beverages ( due to import taxes) are mediocre, but a few quality bottles are hidden at the back, you have to specify the brand. Did you meet Turkish GMs?
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jul
Jojo, thanks a lot for your review. Sorry to hear about your being pushed and shoved around. I can only explain it by thinking that the village was full or almost and then, people tend to become a bit crazy, as if there wasn't enough of everything for everybody. Also, often the crowd who travels in peak season isn't always the best mannered. That's only one reason for which I prefer to go on holiday in off season.

Anyway, happy to hear you enjoyed the excursions and the snorkel boat. I agree with you that Kemer's beach is ugly. It's only one of the reasons I won't return, also the lack of sailing.

As for the CDV following Olivier, it will most likely be one without a village this summer, but most likely one who knows the village already. Trying to think of any here...
In September, you often run the risk of having a different CDV, not only in Kemer.

Looking forward to the photos.
jojos girl
182 Posts
Jul
Ashley -

Bottom line - I had a FABULOUS vacation/adventure!! When these people are on our side of the Atlantic they tend to behave a little better because they are not on their home turf. And, believe me, their mind-set is that CM on their side of the Atlantic is separate from ours. Their problem, not mine/ours!

Indiana -

I've pretty much seen the Meditteranean Provence. Next time will be Instanbul and the Adriatic.

Foam Party is alive and well in Kemer. All of the rest, we still have in common. They don't do late night water volley ball or swims, though. (The pool is, actually, corded off at night and the beach isn't lit well enough.)

As far as the alcohol situation, just order doubles and you'll end up with our standard.

Turks GMs, GOs, GEs and the general population in Kemer - I went to town, as well the Moonlight Arena - are great.

Kiki-

I understand French and I wish overcrowding was the problem. You have to blow it off or it's your own fault if your vacation is a bust.

How do CMs run without a CDV? Muevelo Ktana, above, wanted the info.

Why don't you come to Turkoise at the end of November? You can sail everyday and relax on the most amazing beach in the world - Grace Bay. We'll have a blast!!

Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jul
<<How do CMs run without a CDV?>>

There will be one coming, once Olivier will be gone. Right now, there are more CDVs than villages and some CDVs always make a break and are then free to finish a season somewhere.

It's also possible that the chef des sports or chef d'animation takes over for some days, but certainly not for weeks.

No plans to return to Turks. Sorry, but other plans.
muevelo ktana
23 Posts
Jul
Hi Jojo and Kiki,
Thanks so much for the info. I was really hoping to be there under Olivier management, but I'm sure who ever will replace him will be fine as well… after all – vacation is all about what you make of it..

By the way, I agree that the beach in Kemer isn't as nice as in Turks, but for me – Turks is only for very special occasions… Kemer does have its advantage: It's only 2 hours from home…

Jojo - please let me know if you hear something from Olivier about the new CDV. I would really appreciate it. Also thanks a head for the info about the bar team!
sheela
28 Posts
Aug
hi jojo,

I am also very curious who is going to replace Olivier, so it would be great to receive some news about it!
I will be in Kemer last week of September as usual. I know Olivier from last year in Kemer,sorry to say but after my 7th season there i met better CDV s before. apart of that I always had a great time there, I can't wait to go again.

thanks a lot!!

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/24/2024 at 2:29:25 AM