Club Med Crested Butte

G.O's - News -

SOLD????

jmaria
18 Posts
Jun
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
Is it true they sold Crested Butte?? Or is this just a rumor?
Please login or register to reply
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
Club Med has sold the resort to SunVest.

Florida company buys Club Med

<<The Club Med resort in Mt. Crested Butte was sold last week to SunVest Communities USA, a real estate development company based in Hallandale, Fla.

The purchase price was not disclosed.

SunVest plans to invest $20 million to convert the building into 263 condominium-hotel units, said Harvey Birdman, the company's co-owner.

Birdman said he plans to begin selling units in January. He declined to say what the price range will be.

The all-inclusive Club Med opened in 2000. The property was formerly the Crested Butte Marriott.

Turning Club Med into a condo-hotel will boost business for both the mountain village and the town of Crested Butte, said Tim Mueller, who bought Crested Butte Mountain Resort with his wife in 2004.

"Club Med brought a lot of guests in, but it also provided a lot of its own prepaid services, from ski school and ski rentals to dining and retail," he said. "From a community point of view, this new setup will have a lot more benefit."
The Muellers are in the midst of pumping $80 million into the ski resort's base village. >>

By Julie Dunn
Denver Post Staff Writer
June 26, 2006

Laurel
114 Posts
Jun
AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!! Where am I going to go skiing this winter???
Nightshade
879 Posts
Jun
Doesn't really surprise me considering its only open a few months out of the year wasn't turning the profit they wanted is my guess.
Shame really
Now do we know if it sremaining a club med under a lease back clause or is it gone forever?

"Where Are We Going And Why Am I In This Handbasket?"
"HELP!!! I am online
and I can't get off!!!"
Chicago Jim
889 Posts
Jun
It is no longer listed on the U.S. website so my guess it is gone forever. These condominium hotels have really become popular in the U.S.

Jim
alohachica
67 Posts
Jun
I knew about this last week. One of my roommates from when I worked there had called to tell me. It's a bummer b/c it was a really great village. I miss going to the Firehouse after work and Wednesday night Ladies night at the Black Whale...............
I remember having GO meetings discussing the five star image and stuff. Maybe CB didn't quite fit the five star bill. I also remember hearing that CM wanted to try and keep the resort open year round, but essentially it wasn't really worth it. Not enough activities/excursions. I also know that very few GOs lived in hotel rooms this past season like the previous year giving more space for GMs to book. 2 winters ago when I worked there we were overbooked almost every week. Maybe the numbers just weren't there this year. What really stinks is all the GOs in the NA zone that will be out of a job come December~especially the ones that have worked there for a couple of years in a row.

I sure hope CM has plans of opening some new villages in the NA zone...........there are by far not enough anymore!

~alohachica
PeAcE, lOvE, & cRaZy SiGnS!
Nightshade
879 Posts
Jun
yep the numbers are droping quite a bit
its really sad
even sadder I am not selling Club Med exclusively any more very sad indeed.

"Where Are We Going And Why Am I In This Handbasket?"
"HELP!!! I am online
and I can't get off!!!"
John-Chicago
1356 Posts
Jun
If the sale of NA zone properties keeps up, they may have to have a new ClubMedPlanet for us Americans and Canadians called "Memories of the former Club Med".

John
Ms.SexiLexi
3 Posts
Aug
Yes Its true they sold it. Its now going to be condo's. They where offered a good amount so they took it!
nspelich
42 Posts
Aug
And this is what came of Crested Butte:

http://www.elevationhotel.com/elevationweb.php
indiana
480 Posts
Aug
Painful to see what has happened. Memories are fresh, but the change was a CM decision ( Those decisions/policies nowadays are not pleasant).

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/26/2024 at 9:40:57 AM