Club Med La Pointe aux Canonniers

Feedback April/May 2006

Kiki de M
2828 Posts
May
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
Back from three wonderful, exciting, terrific weeks in Mauritius.

Initially, just planned to stay for two weeks, I just had to add another week, since it would have been a shame to leave. In fact, it even was after three weeks. But oh well, got to work some time to make enough money to go back some time...

Bruno, Willy Boy, Mondher are doing a terrific job together with the whole, mostly Mauritian GO team. Lots of regular GMs. Crowd was mostly French, Swiss, Belgian, Italian, some South Africans and even Japanese. Food, daily events, evening entertainment, crazy signs as good as ever. La Pointe aux Canonniers is among the top villages and I can't but thinking of going back a fourth time, hopefully sometime later this year.

Very good water sports team with Yaman (yes, still there and soon to leave), Kiki, Cédric, Damien and Miguel (formerly known as Gino) and two stagiaires (Philippe and Olivier) who came for some six weeks from the hotel management school in Curepipe together with four other stagaires Darius, Yannick (land sports) and Lillet and Cora (animation). They all left to go back to school, but some of them may be back at the village later this year, if they get a contract. They are all darlings, fitted pretty well into the team, were outgoing and pleasant to chat with. Very good manners, also. Seems to be a pretty good school.

Water ski team: Mazout, Dave, Clarel and Le P'tit Blanc (formerly known as Pascal). I believe they are expecting another GO (Papy) who will be in charge of the team. While I was there, they couldn't take their weekly day off...

Tennis: Max (Italian)
Fitness: Carmine (Italian), newly arrived
Landsports: Eric, Oliver, Donovan (also DJ), Nico (also decoration), Darius and Yannick (stagiaires)
Boutique: Sylvie, Ashley, Sonia, Nat
Excursions: Paola, Cindy, Mevin, Valérie
Choreographer: Sara (Italian)
Costumes: Jean-Noël
Sound: David and Christophe
Reception/Planning: Karine, Pascal, Sweetie, Céline, Dany, Soma, Deena (newly arrived)
Bar: Just to mention a few: Kadam (responsible), Sanjay, Vissen, Preet, Lovin, Lilian and Yaman (evenings)
Restaurant: Dario, Danny, Pascal (economat), Jean-Louis (beach resto)

Some Mauritian GOs left for other villages like Jenny (tennis), Nico (land sports), Chris (boutique) all for Phuket, Mel (reception) and Emily (fitness) for Hammamet.

Pascal (reception) and Nat (boutique) got married on April 30.

Excursionswise, we did La Route du Thé with Cindy. A very pleasant day similar to Le Vieux Maurice. Lots of stops, nice visits (tea factory Bois-Chéri, rhum and vanilla production), extensive visit of the Vanilla Crocodile Park in the south of the island. Lots of baby crocodiles, huge ones and turtles who don't mind you sit on them for a short walk. Outstanding lunch at the Saint-Aubin créole mansion.
A couple of visits to Grand Baie for some shopping and night life (Banana Café, B52). Some nights out at a small café around the corner from the CM village that had just opened (Latina Café).

The long weekends (Easter and May 1) were very busy. Lots of Mauritians spending the evening at the village and at the disco. Busy until early in the mornings.

Weather was sort of mixed the first week (Easter week) and not as hot as I had hoped for, but then, the two others were just as nice and hot as I had expected them.

Once again, thanks to Bruno and his whole team! Just loved it!

Please login or register to reply
Ric
520 Posts
May
Hi Kiki de M,

You must have a great great holiday there because you extend your stay from 2 weeks to 3 weeks. I hope I will have a wonderful vacation in Club Med like you. I am planning my holiday in Aug or Sep 2006.
hello77
138 Posts
May
Thanks for the feedback Kiki! Anymore news about the new village in Albion?

Ric, are you going to Mauritius?
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
May
hello77,
Regarding Albion, the information I got was pretty mixed. Some say, La Pointe will close for some time, some say it won't close at all. Also, they may evaluate the possibility of a daily shuttle from La Pointe to Albion (in the south of Port Louis) and vice versa. IMO, that would be terrific to see what the new village is like.

Anyway, while there, I sympathized with the wife of the architect who works at CM Head Office and who is in charge of Albion. Through her, I will most likely get more detailled information. But so far, it's just too early. She may be able to tell me more, when we'll meet next month in Paris.
http://www.fourniret.com/Projets/ClubMed/Model_21.htm

Ric,
Just one word of caution. Aug/Sep is still he winter season in Mauritius. Are you planninng to go there or somewhere else for your next holiday?
While it won't be that cold (I'd say still between 20 to 25°C), you may not find really hot weather during that period. Try to make it very late September or even better October (speaking from last year's experience...).
Ric
520 Posts
May
Dear hello77 and Kiki de M,

Actually both the date and the destination are not fixed yet.

The Hong Kong Club Med office provides Hong Kong citizens a special offer. We can save HK dollar 800 (note 1 US dollar = 7.8 HK dollar). The choices are : Cherating (Malaysia), Ria Bintan (Indonesia), Bali (Indonesia), Phuket (Thailand), Sahoro (Japan), La Pointe aux Canniers (Mauritius) and Kani (Maldives). Lindeman Island (Australia) and Kabira (Japan) are not included.

The condition is we have to book and pay on or before 31 May 2006. The departure date must not be later than 31 Oct 2006. Also, stay at least four nights.

Thanks for your advise.

Kiki de M
2828 Posts
May
Ric,
I'd go to a village you haven't been to so far. From a different thread, I gather that Kani and Mauritius are on your wish list. I'd decide between those two.
You should find a pretty mixed crowd in both villages, i.e. Europeans, Asians, South Africans, Australians. I can't comment on Kani and its exact weather pattern, but I think, it's rainy season from Aug-Dec, although the Maldives are pretty much an all-year-round destination (I think..).
If you're not that much into diving, Mauritius will offer a lot more choices, also outside the village and nice excursions to explore the island.
hello77
138 Posts
May
Hi Ric, kiki is right, go to a place that's new, will be more fun.

I know that these two villages (Kani and La Pointe) are FAR from Hong kong, but it'll be worth it especially if you stay 10 days or more. I've worked in HK, and I know that trying to get away for more than a week from work is like trying to win the lottery.....but if you have european colleagues they will understand!!
Ric
520 Posts
May
Thank you so much Kiki de M and hello77.

Thanks for your advice.
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
May
Ric,
You're most welcome.

Did you take your decision yet
Maybe, next to the weather, the flights and the costs involved may be a major factor as well. I think, you can't go wrong with either, Kani or Mauritius.
And yes, I do hope you can escape for at least 10 days. I know you in HK are very hard working folks. Wherever one goes or looks at, people keep working, moving, etc. To me, it's a city that never sleeps. Please, do say hi to the Peak!

Please keep us informed on your decision. Thanks.
Ric
520 Posts
May
Dear Kiki de M,

Thanks for your information. Yesterday, I asked my boss for vacation leave. Finally, I can have holiday at the end of August. I think I will go to La Pointe aux Cannoniers Club Med.

You suggested me to have holiday in Oct and stay at least 10 days. I am so sorry, I cannot do that. I will go to Mauritius in Aug and it will be a 8 days 6 nights vacation. More precise, it is a 6 days 6 nights vacation. For the first day, I will arrive Club Med village at 22:30 or 23:00.

I will go on 28 Aug 2006 or 31 Aug 2006
hello77
138 Posts
May
I'm happy for you Ric!

Though La pointe is a very French-speaking village, all Mauritians speak English, so there shouldn't be a problem. Plus there are always English-speaking guests from South Africa or the UK.

If you venture outside CM, you'll see that there's a Chinatown in Port Louis, the capital. There is also a small overseas Chinese community (2% of the local population), who are Hakka Chinese.

The local food is a mix of Indian, Creole & Chinese, just pure heaven! The country reminds me a bit of Singapore in certain aspects.

If you need more information you can also read my trip summary (review) of my March 2006 stay.
Ric
520 Posts
May
Hi hello77,

Thank you. It is a very detailed trip report. I will write something and post all the photos in my website.
Ric
520 Posts
May
Hi Kiki de M,

I have sent you two "private message" and asked you four questions about La pointe aux Canonniers. Thanks for your reply. However, I cannot read your reply. This morning, I tried several time. This afternoon, I tried several time. I got error message :
==============================================
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

/forum/privateread.asp, line 68
==============================================

May I ask the four questions again here ?

Question One - Aug and Sep is winter time. Is it a high season or a low season ? Any long queue for wakeboard ?
Question Two - Any idea about the GMs in winter time ? Mainly French ? Or a mixture of French, South African and Australian ?
Question Three - Any Chinese speaking GO ? My native language is Chinese, I can only speak a little bit simple English. I cannot speak French.
Question Four - It is a "Total All Inclusive" village. Should I buy GOs drink with "Easy card", "Bar book", "Deposit card" ? Or can I get some free drinks to GOs ?

Thank you very much.
Sav
139 Posts
May
I might be able to help with question 3.
I'm Chinese but my native language is English. Most GOs can speak English, most GMs could speak English, apart from the French whom we had some difficulty communicating with. There were no Chinese speaking GOs when I was there, the only Asian GO at the time was a Japanese lady, I forget her name.

Hope that helps :)
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
May
Ric, here is what I wrote to you in my PM:

Hello Ric

I am happy to answer your questions as far as I can. Unfortunately, my printer at home is without an ink cartridge right now, so I hope I have everything in mind you wish to know:

June-September is basically 'winter' in Mauritius and not really high season. Since it's the main holiday period in Europe, you will most likely find some Europeans (mostly French speaking people) as well.
I don't know about the South Africans or Australians then. Last October, there weren't any. This spring they were pretty numerous.
During the three times I've been there now, there were just some Japanese GMs, but I've never met or seen any GMs from SE Asia. No GOs from SE Asia either, just some from Europe, besides the locals ones.
However, do not worry!! All the Mauritian GOs speak English, since it's the official language. French is the spoken language though, or even better Créole, which is a French dialect you can also find in the French Caribbean (Martinique, Guadeloupe).

The village is all inclusive like almost all now (Bintan and some others are exceptions). You can offer the GOs drinks without any problem. Just don't overdo it. Personally, I offer drinks to those I do activities with and to those I really do like and gotten to know a bit better.
There are 1 or 2 local bar men who don't particularly like, when you order drinks for a bunch of GOs, but most of them don't care. Most of the GOs drink fruit juices or water during the day and go for 'hard' stuff only after the show. Apparently, you can't buy them drinks at the nightclub. I never understood why. From what I understand, it's the law. But then, the nightclub is nothing to write home about. In my opinion, the only weak point of that village. But then, they often have disco and beach party at the beach bar till midnight which is kind of nice.

I don't think that the village will be full. Most Europeans stay around the Mediterranean Sea during that period. It's a lot closer and a lot cheaper also. Maybe, it's a favourite period for South Africans and/or Australians though.

You shouldn't have a problem for the wake board. I've never seen really long lines anywhere. But then, I've never been in the village when it was completely full (only 50 to 60 %).
Also, you have lots of nice excursions and thinks to do near the village (like shopping in Grand Baie), so that there are always lots of GMs out of the village. It's a small village anyway. Only some 500 GMs, when full. But you never get the impression that it is a 'factory'. It's a rather intimate, small place.

Let me remind you the GOs of the water ski (and wake): Mazout, Dave, Clarel and Le P'tit Blanc (formerly Pascal). All Mauritian. They have been there for a long time already. There will be a new responsible (Papy, French, I believe) who wasn't yet there, when I left.

Since I am into sailing, I had a lot more contact with the GOs there (Kiki, Cédric, Damien). Yaman, Senegalese and responsible, left last week.
Right now, they are also waiting for a new responsible to come. He will have arrived, when you're there.

The CDV, Bruno Ghilardi (Italian), and the CDS Mondher are doing a great job. It's not a party village. But outstanding food, good shows, good entertainment in general. Lots of regular guests.

One last word. People tend to dress a bit in the evening and follow the dress codes. So bring lots of white, black, beige, khaki. Something elegant, something red, something blue, something with flowers (shirt). It's not a must for GMs, of course, but I must admit that I like those dress codes, especially the white evenings.

I am not sure to return a second time this year (not before October anyway). It's really a long way (some 11.5h flight) which makes it pretty expensive. But I will try to go back in spring, before it closes for renovation.

I hope I answered your questions more or less. Don't hesitate in case you want to know somethin
Ric
520 Posts
May
Hi Sav and Kiki de M,

Thanks for your reply.

Kiki de M, you are so nice and your information is very detailed. When I come back home, I will post all the photos and write something in my website to share my experience.
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
May
Ric,

Even though your stay will be short, I am convinced that you'll have a great time. Looking forward to what you're thinking of the village and your photos. Will help me make it through the months until I'll go back.

Just curious: From HK, what's your flight route? Via Bangkok, KL or Singapore? And how long does it take? Must be awfully long and for sure longer than the direct flights from Europe (Switzerland, France, Germany) which are some 11 to 12 hours.
BB27
54 Posts
Jun
Hi Kiki !

Can you tell me if Monder will stay in La Pointe this summer ?
Thank

BB
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
BB27,

Mondher arrived only in the beginning of this year to take over from Youssef.
So, my guess is: yes he'll be there this summer, unless something unforeseen should happen.
In case he should stay for one year, he will obviously take some holiday sometime, like everybody else.

PS: Nothing is clear yet regarding the possible closure of La Pointe for renovation.
BUT, Albion is scheduled to open only in November 2007, when the high season starts.
And I got confirmation that my great fear becomes true: It's going to be even more expensive than La Pointe...
BB27
54 Posts
Jun
Tanks for your informations.
BB
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
You're most welcome, BB.

Just got the Trident for the winter season. Will have a closer look at it this evening and check, whether prices have gone up.

Hey, great summer weather these days. No need to go to a far away village.
Ric
520 Posts
Jun
Hi Kiki de M,

Sorry for my late reply.

From Hong Kong to Mauritius, it is a direct flight. Below is the flight schedule (Air Mauritius)

=====================
Departure

Mon/Thu MK641 Hong Kong - Mauritius 1440 - 2050

Return

Wed/Sun MK644 Mauritius - Hong Kong 2230 - 1230+1

+1 = arrive on next day
=====================

The time Hong Kong time zone is +8 and the Mauritius time zone is +4.
It is a 10-hour flight.
The first day I arrived La Pointe aux Canonniers, it will be 22:00 or 22:30.
BB27
54 Posts
Jun
Yes Kiki
Very nice weather today, but i need some holidays since March (Pointe aux Cannoniers) so my next village is Kemer in 10 days Yess...
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
Oh thanks, Ric. Perfect, you've got a direct flight. I was always pretty happy with Air Mauritius so far and hope, you'll be as well.

Right now, perfect hot weather in Switzerland (almost 30°C), so no need to really go away...at least for myself living right on the lake side.

BB27, of course, one always needs some holiday from time to time. But since I've just been in Paris for 6 days (and we might return for the postponed Stones gig on July 28), I really need to catch up with my work....

Have a great stay in Kemer.... Just memories for me. It's been quite a while I've been there.
raab
528 Posts
Jun
Oh Kiki, just a word to tell you how lucky you are to live on the lake side.
My grand-father was born and used to live on the lake side, French side and it was so beautiful!!!!!
Great memories.
I take advantage of this post to ask you (you, you know everything about CM) if you have feedbacks about Bodrum and if they are pretty good.
I search but I find nothing about this village this summer and I must book now for the end of August, I still don't know if I go there or if I return to Yasmina in Morocco.
Thanks for your help.
FLO
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
Flo, bonjour,

No, désolée, I can't tell you anything about Bodrum, but I've got a friend from Geneva who likes it a lot. Seems a rather quiet village.
As for Yasmina, I absolutely adored that village. Very nicely laid out, lots of flowers. I wouldn't mind to go back one day.

Now, I would have to check who is the CDV this summer. Since you know Le Club also pretty well, I would decide depending on the CDV, vraiment. He/she and the GO team may be the deciding factor.

Well, just checked for the CDV. I'd go with Yasmina and Bachir. You'll be sure to have some party and action despite it being a family village.

As for living on the lake, it's Lake of Zurich for me and not Lac Léman!

Ce soir, le foot, eh... En fait, je m'en fous un peu, mais si les Suisses devaient gagner, je ne pleurerais pas.
Mais, je dis quand même "allez les Bleus".
raab
528 Posts
Jun
Thanks Kiki!!!
I'll tell you where I go finally but more and more, Yasmina is first. The only problem for my job is the departure in on Tuesday....
I'll be fair-play so: allez les Suisses!!!
But I don't like very much foot-ball, I prefer tennis and sorry but I was really happy to see Nadal winner in Roland-Garros even if Federer is a great champion.
Flo
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
Eh, oui, sometimes, the departure dates are a problem. Just checked with the CM site (French) and departures seem to be on Sunday as well, non??

And thanks for encouraging les ptits Suisses.

As for Federer, I think he didn't play his best tennis last Sunday except for the 1st set.
Nadal is his "nightmare adversary" and I think there was a mental barrier in Federer's head.
teresang
2 Posts
Jun
Hi, everybody,

It's really nice to see the postings here. Coz I have been thinking about where to have my first wedding anniversary trip in Mid-July ? It's also time to refresh for my husband who works hard everyday, even on sundays.

I and my husband have been to other clubmed villages before and we have thought about Kani as an option (we've only been to Faru), but I suggested to go to Mauritius. What we are worrying about is the weather, will it be too cold for water activities? We want to have snorkelling, wakeboard, catamarans .......

I have also looked into other holiday packages in Mauritius and reading the reviews by travellers about those hotels. It's difficult to make the decision where to stay? as some hotels have good service, but poor food....

After reading your postings, I think I will stick to Clubmed. I would like to do a bit more excursions to explore Mauritius, what will you recommend? Also, is there any trip to the eastern side of the island (to ILE AUX CERFS)??
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
You can do all activities, even in the Mauritian winter. No problem.
Check this site for online weather info. It's almost winter now and today's high is 27°C.
http://www.info-mauritius.com/weather-wetter/wx2.html

As for the excursions:
You'll have lots of really nice day trips like Ile aux Cerfs, The Tea Route, Old Mauritius and more.

You have two other nice day trips: Ile aux Benitiers (Southwestern coast) by motor boat and another one to the Northern Islands on a large catamaran. Both are nice, just different.
teresang
2 Posts
Jun
Thanks, Kiki,

Very glad to see your reply. I am really longing for this trip since I think I also need to refresh myself.

Do I need to bring with us mosquitos repellent? I read from other websites that mosquito is the main concern for travellers to Mauritius rather than other type of infections. My husband always attracts mosquitos, even in Hong Kong.
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
The mosquito situation was no problem when I was there last time (mid-April to May 5).
But yes, do bring a repellent nonetheless. In the rooms, we had those little machines to keep the mosquitos away. Since in winter it's less humid, there should be almost no mosquitos anyway.

You can go the website I gave above and then search for the forum. There is one section in English. Have a look what people do say there. Some forum members do live on the island and some are frequent visitors.
Here's the link for the English forum:
http://www.info-mauritius.com/forum/index.php?c=8&sid=ce151cba92fe1f5c457bb821105ff40a
raab
528 Posts
Jun
Kiki, match nul........Bises Flo
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
Mais, c'est vieux tout ça....

Lundi, RV dentiste pendant le 2e tour (parlant des Suisses contre le Togo)... zut
raab
528 Posts
Jun
Il n'a pas la télé ton dentiste, moi il l'a et en plus il est fan du CM alors il sait que je suis angoissée, il me met les musiques des crazy signs en fond sonore!!!
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jun
Si c'est comme ça, je viendrai voir ton dentiste dans le futur...

Pour la télé, éventuellement, il l'a installée depuis la dernière fois.

Anyway, c'est aux Bleus déjà ce dimanche soir (Corée du Sud), mais cette fois-ci, je serai au ballet....

Faut bien qu'ils commencent à marquer des buts là... parlant des deux équipes, évidemment.
raab
528 Posts
Jun
Touchons du bois!!! mais je crains beaucoup la Corée du Sud
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Sep
The departure is getting closer and closer for La Pointe - again!

D-16
thomasw
82 Posts
Sep
... and I'm looking forward to your review and photos as La Pointe is on my "soon to visit" list!
Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Sep
Thomas hallo,

Mein Bericht wird vermutlich ähnlich ausfallen wie mein letzter von April/Mai (1. Seite in diesem Thread).

Du musst dich beeilen. La Pointe wird renoviert, sobald das zweite Dorf auf Mauritius (Albion) voraussichtlich im Herbst 2007 eröffnet wird. Super Luxus dort. Wir konnten in La Pointe ein Schauzimmer besichtigen.

Ich denke, auch La Pointe wird nach der Renovation fast unbezahlbar werden, leider.

Betreffend Digitalphotos bin ich noch ein totales Greenhorn. Da ist mir Bibi meilenweit voraus... Aber Ric wird vermutlich tolle Bilder auf seine Webpage laden, allerdings eher 'Faces' als Sonnenuntergänge.

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/26/2024 at 9:23:24 AM