Home of a whole lot of Club Med information since 2003
Club Med Story Zone

News

Famous encounters

GODJ
1353 Posts
Jan
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE
Did you ever meet famous people in Club Med ?

Last time in Columbus I met the inventor of the Bubble Wrap paper (you know the thing we loved to squeeze as a kid).

Anyone else ?
Please login or register to reply
jayycee
784 Posts
Jan
2 years ago and met ( and am still friend with )Tonya from Big Brother.
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jan
I met and became good friends with Betty Buckley in Martinique. And I met Meredith Baxter at Eleuthera during a Hurricane attack in which we evacuated the Club and were moved to other CM villages.
Jim
Maukitten
483 Posts
Jan
Well, someone famous in Malaysia, a Malaysian pop star called Zainal. He used to be a GO in Club Med (singing in the band). He's a regular at Cherating, and recently he got married in CM Bintan.

Cookie says that Zainal is his uncle!

Maukitten

PS. At one time, the music that they played at arrivals in Cherating was a Zainal song.

PPS. Jim, Meredith Baxter - who used to act in "Family"?
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jan
Maukitten
She was in Family Ties.
Jim
gobar
98 Posts
Feb
I met Bob Woodward at la Caravelle, he was the reporter who wrote the book on the watergate scandal in the US. Also some Footbal players, but not too famous. Other GO's at other villages and/or the ships have met David Lee Roth and the Gypsy Kings.
Anubis
40 Posts
Feb
Well about between 2 and 3 years ago i met a GM at Cherating... but not so much a famous person like a celebrity or anything but apparently.. he was one of the Club's Oldest and most renowned GM, he was like about around 60-70 years old, he was Japanese and alot of GO's know him and so do alot of Chefs of the villages, he has been to Club Meds in asia about more than 100 times each! and it wa his 245th time in Cherating! so that was pretty cool.

[ If Life Was One Big Party...CLUB MED! So Pull Out Your Tanning Chair, Grab A Cocktai...And Let's Talk About the Way Life Should Be! CLUB MED! ]
Quote By Anubis

Anubis
MiniEva
590 Posts
Feb
this summer there was an old italian (ancient's a better word) football player in Kamarina... but I forgot his name :)
chouchou
10 Posts
Feb
Well I spend a few CM training days in Paradise, while Tony Parker (& his girlfriend) and Brahim Asloum (boxe champion) were there too, in May 2003. Very nice guys, very simple and quiet, we had a good time in a dinner at the annex restaurant !
That's fun to discover that famous people, even if they've got a looot of money, prefer to spend vacations in Club Med rather than in a five stars hotel...!!

scubajamie
13 Posts
Feb
When working in Copper Mountain I helped promote Club Med at a Celebrity Ski Race in Vale Co we had dinner with (and) met quite a few famous people. We even got to give them schnapps dressed as Goldy-Locks and The Three Bears! Schnapps Patrol!!!! What I thought was interesting was at dinner everyone was so interested in what GO life was all about. We felt like the celebrities.
bellavino
43 Posts
Mar
I was at CM Cancun in Nov 02 when John Michele from the original Batchelor was there promoting the "singles" week.
brianezra2
537 Posts
Mar
His name is Alex Michele...I'm a huge Bachelor fan. That is very cool! I'm guessing he was a total shark that week! Not the best choice for the Bachelor (he'd rather remain single and shark at CM!)

Geri a.k.a. brianezra2
Katie
40 Posts
May
Hey, back in 2000 at CM Val D'Isere, Bono from U2 was staying there while I was!
Katie xx
alohachica
67 Posts
May
Hey! This isn't Club Med related, but I ran into Alex Michele on my way home from Hawaii once. I was boarding my connecting flight from San Francisco to New York and Alex was in 1st class. He's really cute in person. ;)
Nightshade
879 Posts
May
back in the summer of "86" when I was working at Playa Blanca I was one of those people earlier mentioned that had a run in with David Lee Roth he was pretty cool
See Ya
Nightshade
frogz
4 Posts
Jun
When I went to my first village in Hurghada in 1981, during the worst month for GMs, when leaving GOs can't wait to go and new ones are getting organised, one GO leaving was called the "Princess".
When I inquired about her nickname, I was told Prince Andrew had spent some time in Hurghada.
Was it true anyone ????
exgodude
102 Posts
Jun
I was in Eleuthera back in the mid 90's... as landsports GO, and was shooting basketball hoops with a GM. He didn't mention his name, but he said he was from europe and was in the usa for work reasons. I convinced him to come play street hockey with us and a big crowd gathered: Ends up it was Dominick Hasek, the goalie of the Sabres. He played goalie and let a little kid score on him. The kid ran off screaming that he scored on Dominick Hasek. I'm sure that made his trip!

exgodude
mediaworker
9 Posts
Jul
Yes ... Jean Paul Gaultier cut my hear on the beach in Kemer on the music of Bronsky-beat in 1995 but i did not know who he was until my CdV told me who was my heardresser ...

then ... many famous people in St Moritz Roi Soleil

But i think they are to threat like normal GM s cause they are !

MiniEva
590 Posts
Oct
I took the Thalys (for the americans: high-speed train) from Paris to Brussels when I came back home from La Palmyre Atlantique and 4 of Billy Crawford's dancers were sitting next to us. Billy himself was travelling 1st Class, but came to chat with them.
My friend and I didn't even notice at first and when we did spent to much time discussing whether he was cute or not and critisising his clothes... now I keep thinking I should've asked an autograph, but then again, I didn't want to seem like this groupie when I only know 2 songs of his.....
littleone1171
13 Posts
Oct
I have worked many celebrity events w/ Club Med . Here are my top 2 celeb stories.
2. Davis Cassidy at Sandpiper. Met him twice. two years in a row. second year, one day he came to pick up his son at Mini Club and it was just me and Beau (his son). we were sitting at a table coloring and listening to the radio when his dad came in. Just back from the golf course he had a golf club in his hand & started stumming it like a guitar and singing along w/ the radio ~~~SWOON~~~
1. Tony Hawk at Sandpiper. He came w/ his family to open the half pipe for re-new week. one of my friends was a freak all day about "Tony Hawk is here, Tony Hawk is here!!!" I had been in Club Med a few years by then and had no clue who Tony Hawk was and was tired of hearing about Tony Hawk all day at work. We were standing out in front of the mini club signing kids out at the end of the day when my friend grabbed my arm and hissed in my ear, "Oh my God ! Tony Hawk is here!" to which I turned around to her and said very loudly "Who cares! I don't even know who the hell Tony Hawk is !!!" Turns out the kid that I was signing out was Tony Hawk's son! I was handing him the clip board and he just smiled and said "That would be me." ~~~ooops!
alohachica
67 Posts
Oct
I know this doesn't exactly relate to the topic at hand, but it relates to your story about Tony Hawk littleone1171. I was on a cruise with my dad and had met a group of college kids to hang out with. I was talking to this one girl when I saw this guy with a University of Michigan shirt on. I said something like "Boy, all the guys I've ever met from U of M have been really cute (referring to guys I'd previously met on Spring Break)...he's busted." The girl turned to me and said "That's my brother!" I was mortified!

~alohachica
PeAcE, lOvE, & cRaZy SiGnS!
MarcNYY
575 Posts
Dec
At Turks, former NHL star Glenn Anderson (won 6 Stanley Cup rings between the Edmonton Oilers and NY Rangers), used to have a residence. Often, he would come on the village and play hockey with the GMs. As a GM, I got to play goalie against him. Got a picture too.
chabella
152 Posts
Dec
Well....I had a few encounters!! In Eleuthera...The famous hockey player Ray Bourque was there with his family....In Turks, I met Antonio Sabato Jr. (Calvin Klein boxer shorts model and also actor) He was there with his sister and cousin. Also in Turks, you probably don't know this one unless you are from Quebec....Alain Choquette (he's a magician)....I don't know if he was on vacation but he ended up doing a part of his show on stage during the GM show and he even taught some card tricks to the entertainer!!! I took care of Elizabeth McGovern's kid while in Ste-Lucia (she's the actress that played with Kevin Bacon in "She's having a baby").....And for the guys reading this....Playboy had arranged a week of photo shoot around the hotel in Cancun...With really good looking models!!!! I might be leaving some that I can't think of right now....Oh well!

GAR
468 Posts
Jan
so many but here goes:

- Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen in St-Lucia ... they thought the GO lipsynch of Bohemian rapsody was pretty cool. Brian sang karaoke and did a "Palace" night number with the Mini Club team. Brian also called me at home to invite me to his show in Toronto - 8 VIP backstage passes - we had a blast!
- the actress who played the twins mother on 90210 in St-Lucia.
- a famous rock star "we think" who looked liked Axel Rose (including exact tatoos) and had a 6 year old daughter who said her daddy played in front of millions of people for a living in St-Lucia
- Dr. Henry Morgentaler at Sandpiper (Canadians will know him)
- Zainal Abidin at Cherating
- many hockey players mentioned above mostly at the Piper
- David Cassidy ( used to tease his son Beau about his uncle Sean!) - Piper
- Tony Hawk - Piper
- Lenny Kravits - Eleuthera
- Jacques Cousteau - Eleuthera
- Alexi Bauer (one hit wonder from France) Punta Cana
- Maridona, Colombia's most infamous soccer player in Punta - he coached my team that night
- the numerous soap stars that stay at Club Med or do Soap Opera weeks
- Paul Schaffer, head music dude for Letterman at the Piper
- Jimmy Buffett on the island of Eleuthera but not at CM
etc etc etc
-

G.A. xox
Dimple
121 Posts
Jan
hey chouchou i was there too went Parker was there and Asloum too... maybe we know each other..

Have a good one!!!

Dimple
isabelg
12 Posts
Jan
met some famous soccer mexican players in Huatulco and also Peter Cetera (he is the nicest guy) and also a few mexican soap opera actors
isabelg
12 Posts
Jan
also saw some of the gypsy kings in Agadir
marine.c
38 Posts
Oct
chouchou, i was there too !!! the time with TP, his gf, and BA !!!!
ellentheb
294 Posts
Oct
I met John Stossel and his wife in Turquoise - not sure if it was 82 or 84.
beachboy123
22 Posts
Oct
I met at Cancun the wife of Richard Dreyfuss ( who had a crush on a GO). Met also at Turks the famous french cook 'Jean-Claude', whom we see at PBS 'Cooking with Jean-Claude'.

Sunshine, beach, Pina Coladas,blue water oh lala!!
Margarita Girl
598 Posts
Oct
Hi, wow I am reading this and I have to say.... WOW JIMMY BUFFET? He is my IDOL!
Hence: Margarita Travel

As for the hockey stars, Glenn Anderson & Joe Sakic I know from growing up as well as I used to date a Montreal Canadian back in the day.

The only people whom I have seen that are famous is a talk show guy from LAX, I will ask my Papa his name as for he apparently is famous. (The show was called strait talk or something similar)
and
Beth Hopkins, if you are from Canada you will know her as BIF.
aratopp
204 Posts
Nov
quote:
Originally posted by MarcNYY

At Turks, former NHL star Glenn Anderson (won 6 Stanley Cup rings between the Edmonton Oilers and NY Rangers), used to have a residence. Often, he would come on the village and play hockey with the GMs. As a GM, I got to play goalie against him. Got a picture too.

Wow, Glenn? cool. I wish that I was there. So you got to be Fuhr or Vanbiesbrouck?
Sand_in_my_shoes
213 Posts
Nov
I was in La Caravelle a few years ago and saw Leelee Sobieski, she quite a famous Hollywood actress, she played in The Glass House, Here on Earth, Eyes Wide Shut, Joan of Arc...Deep Impact and so one!! She came to the night club a few times, she looked like a really nice person but very quiet!!
silvy
23 Posts
Nov
Let see!!!

1- taught Emmet Smith to swim in Eluthera (was doing well, but realise quite abruptly he is scared of fish once in the ocean) lol

2- Took Anthonio Sabato Jr and his cousin sky diving in Turks (for the girls: I had to "catch" him when he landed!! Tough job, but somebody had to do it!!) I was quite surprise when he came to Columbus and reconized me!

3- Alain Choquette (who is dating one of my best friend for many years now, her name is Chantal, and also his assistant)

4- Mitsou (and her husband, Johann) bumped in to her so much in about 3 villages, she started to look for me at the bar!! At now see her once in a while in Mtl!

5- We had the visist of many Hockey players while I was in Cancun in 91 mostly from the Rangers and the Canucks (I dated Garry Valk for a little while)

6- Many authors during the " mystery writer week" in Columbus

7- 4 of the Principal dancers from Les Ballets de Paris

8-Glenn Anderson in Turks

9- for the French, a guy name "Paille" from I don't know what soccer team

10- Thierry L'Hermitte (famous actor from France) in Turks

11- For the "Québécois" "Le sportif" de chambre en ville!

12- Former NY Mayor Giuliani in Martinique

13- Judge Judith Chandling from Judge Judy in Paradise (that was before her tv show).

14- Some NFL players while in Turks (they ended up destroying a room)

Some others, but the names don't come to mind

But it was funny, because most of these people were pretty much ingognito, and were quite curious about the GO life. They got pretty impress by the fact that us, the GO's left friends, familly and the comfort of our cosy life to live far from everyone and everything that we knew, to become GO's!!!Some of them became big fans, and keep in touch.

What an amazing place!! Only in Club Med!!

LIfe as it should be!!!

30 seconds......imagine a week!!

Silvy
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Nov
Silvy

With No. 7, the principal dancers from Ballet de Paris, was that at Punta Cana? I remember there were some dancers there and they did an evening of ballet in the theater. Very entertaining.

Jim

How many gold bar beads?
chabella
152 Posts
Nov
Silvy...Was it in winter '97 in Turks with Antonio? I was there! I took care of his, his sisters and his cousins plane tickets in traffic! They were all very nice but his sister was a little bit snoby!

IZ :)
Cambio
14 Posts
Nov
Motorcycle racer Miguel DuHamel at Turks. Hmm, a long time ago.
marine.c
38 Posts
Nov
jamessite ==> it was in punta cana, right, I was there too. something like spring break 1997, and it was a part of L'Opera de Paris who came there while Kevin Batt was CDV and they made a demo of a lil part of The Swan Lake...

Its was absolutely wonderful... but every single american who was still in the theater after they announced the show left within 5 minutes, as if it was really boring...

At the end, we were like 10 in the whole theater, and only europeans...

cant guess how mad I was at the others. So rude to leave that way, just in the middle of an extraordinary performance...
Margarita Girl
598 Posts
Nov
Glenn Anderson was best friends with my next door neighbours, I know Stephane Richer as well as Joe Sakik.

:) Very VERY nice people.
silvy
23 Posts
Nov
L'Opera de Paris was in 2001 in Columbus Isle (CDV was Youssef Dhari)
evybody stayed till the end it was absolutely beautifull!!!

Chabella Oui in "97.And by the way, I taught that the cousin (who own a Club in Miami) was very "hot" as well!!

The sister .....Diva want to be!

Silvy!
readyhep
44 Posts
Nov
Margarita Girl...do you live in Repentigny?

-Eric Cantona...in Caravelle (French soccer player)
-Antonio Sabato Jr...also in Turks. We put him on the flying trapeze...still have footage from Entertainment Tonight w/me put his safety belt on...
-Kenny Smith, O.P., Kevin Garnett in Turks
-Some others already mentionned
-Michel Cote (french canadian actor)
-Pascale Letourneau (french canadian actress!):)

All were cool, except O.P.! He wanted to date the girl I was with...Needless to say I was ****ting my pants! The guy is HUGE!

Sante! Erick Methot Ready? Hep!...Take your feet off the plateform!!!
hello77
138 Posts
Dec
My first time in Club Med was at La Palmeraie in Morocco.

Sorry no famous actors or tv stars neither, but I went during the yearly (?) gathering of CDVs and Club Med's corporate higher-ups.

Was able to eat at the same table with Henri Giscard d'Estaing, CEO of Club Med!
Missy3
3 Posts
Dec
Not at CM (but on my way) last week, Lou Reed was in front of me at customs in Turks.
piratebabe505
20 Posts
Jan
While working at Sandpiper I met Martin Verkerk the Dutch tennis player, saw Oscar de Lahoya at one of our boxing matches, and hung out with Ernest Mateen a professional boxer.
We also entertained the French Nationals Soccer coach and some of his teammates.
Also as part of our comedy circuit Screech from SAVED BY THE BELL or Mr. Diamond graced us with his presence as well as with some comedy.

poncho_med
14 Posts
Jan
In summer 2005 a few months ago in Ixtapa working at the reception I checked all the arrival envelopes and one name was familiar but at that time didn't realized anything, well it can be someone who camed last year I thought, but later that evening I was having dinner with another G.O and I saw this long haired guy with his family (wife and son) and i recognized him it was Metallica's bass player Rob Trujillo, nice guy very gentle he told me about the plans of the band and every time he went to reception he asked for a taxi because he was going to surf. I think only a few knew who he was.

Kiki de M
2828 Posts
Jan
Topping for new stories.
danydex
258 Posts
Jan
ye...any new stories guys...;)
Lauraco54
42 Posts
Jan
Apparently I made out with a famous Canadian comedian at Paradise but I dont remember the name nor do I remember the encounter...

Laura
Best G.o.
Gilberto
52 Posts
Feb
when i was in ixtapa as dj, i had a little chat with Robert Trujillo bassist player of ozzy osbourne and now in metallica... nice guy!!! if you like rock maybe you know him, he was talking about to buy a house in front of the beach in ixtapa, and he went with his girlfriend, i got some pictures from that time, good experience he liked my bermudas ha ha ha it was so funny!!!
dv_guy
154 Posts
Feb
Well, I was waiting to see if someone else posted this person's name, since I didn't see him at the club myself...

About 6 or 7 years ago, my group ended up meeting with Richard Dreyfuss at a work event. (He came visiting my company and we met with him for a while.) He casually mentioned something about being on a vacation with his family in Huatulco at a place great for kids. Being a CM diehard, I asked if it was Club Med. He said it was and that they had a great time. I remember thinking how cool that must have been, that he could go on vacation with his family and have a great time - not being bothered about being a famous actor the whole time.
danydex
258 Posts
Feb
..nice one guys !
Gilberto-you got the pictures to show us ? :)

dany

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 5/19/2024 at 4:52:56 PM