Club Med Expert Agent
Home of a whole lot of Club Med information since 2003
Club Med Questions

News

CM's "Friends and Family" vacation discounts?

davidloween
2 Posts
Jul
edf40wrjww2FORUM_TOPICS:T_MESSAGE

The last time I was at a Club Med, I met several GMs who said they had taken advantage of Club Med's supposed "friends and Family" rate and received deep discounts on their vacations, even over Xmas and New Year's Eve weeks. I'm not talking about the obvious: spouses or girlfriends/boyfriends of GOs. I'm talking about GMs who knew someone, who knew someone, and then received the "Friends and Family" discounts. I'm very interested in these. Please email me directly if you have any information on this, like...
--Does anyone know how deep these discounts can be? I once heard that travel agents get 50% off CM rates. Are these the same?
--Does anyone know the rules for these "Friends and Family" rates? For instance, do you have to be visiting the GO at the club, or can you use the discount to go to any CM club without your "friend."
--And, finally, I'd like any GOs to contact me who might be, or will be, in these specific clubs in the North American sector (Turks and Columbus Isle and Martinique), or the Asian sector (Phuket, Ria Bintan, Bali) or the Europe sector (Opio, Da Balaia). Maybe we can take advantage of this, and I'll make it worth your while $$$-wise. Club Med vacations are getting really expensive, and discounts are hard to come by.
Please login or register to reply
AppleVenus
313 Posts
Jul
Hi David...

OK, here is what I know about this topic, and I'm sure others will have more to add or have different info...

A guy friend of mine wanted to visit a girl GO he had met previously and had kept in touch with for a while. The GO told him she could get a discount on the LAND ONLY rates, and that was 30% off the regular room rate. The other loop hole was that she couldn't guarantee this until a week to ten days before he wanted to take the trip (something to do with how full the village was, availability, etc.) which can present as a problem if you're looking to get a flight...2 weeks is usually the minimum to book one without paying ridiculous rates. It did work out for my friend, and he was able to save some money through the friends and family deal.

Also, as far as I know, you can't take advantage of this unless you're going to a club where the GO in question is working.

Hope this helps and if my info is inaccurate or the regulations have changed, some member of this site will surely chime in.

Annie
FlyGirl
527 Posts
Jul
David,

Did you become a close enough friend to any of the GOs you've met on prior vacations? I'm assuming you're not a family member of any GOs. These discounts, which Annie is correct, are 30% off the LAND ONLY portion of your trip, are allowed to be given by GOs so that their friends and their families can visit them. So, yes, the GO you are going to visit must be at the village you are visiting.

My suggestion, if you are in touch with any of the GOs you've met, and feel that you are close enough with them to ask (without them first offering it to you), then go ahead and contact them directly. I just don't think putting out a general request on here is going to get you anywhere.

When a GO does get someone the discount, that person is kinda a reflection on that GO while they're in the village. Now, this isn't to say that you are anything but the greatest person in the world. But for a GO that doesn't know you at all, why would they take that chance?

These discounts, though available to GOs, aren't used like they are nothing, because then the village would be filled up with people paying only 70%. Plus, for the F&F discount, you can only go to the village IF there is an open spot, and if not, you have to room with the GO.

- Lisa (a.k.a. FlyGirl)
JAMESSITE
1652 Posts
Jul
As Annie said, the GO wont know about room availability until about 10 days before. That is why I cant believe someone could use it at Christmas time. However, if they got lucky, all the better. I did a view comparisons and sometimes found that booking when the CM had a discount trip was about the same, mainly because of the plane fare being lower the further out you can book it. I have been offered the discount by a few friends, but it was usually easier to book the package than to wait one week in advance to take the advantage of the discount.
Jim
Ric
520 Posts
Jul
Dear David,

On 7 March 2005, I received two card from the Hong Kong Club Med Office.

Anyone who books Club Med 5 days / 4 nights Air Package to Bali, Phuket or Cherating through Hong Kong Club Med Office and presents my card, one can do it with a special price. That is HKD $800 less than the original price. This offer is valid in March 2005 and April 2005.

After the 5 days / 4 nights holidays, I will get another HKD $800 coupon which is valid till April 2006.

But, I am not sure whether the name of this promotion is "Friends and Family". I remembered that the name of the promotion contains the word "Friends".
Ric
520 Posts
Jul
Dear David,

I think I am right. Below is a message written by me on 09 March 2005
I find the word "friends and families"
However, the information given by me on 09 March 2005 was wrong.
This year Hong Kong Club Med office provides many special package (at least six or seven),
not just one or two promotions per year.

====================================================
Dear lioness,

The Hong Kong Club Med office usually offer special packages once or twice a year.

In addition to lower price in low season (eg Mar, Nov), special packages are available for specific Club Med villages and specific period of time (eg 5 days / 4 nights).

Now, the Hong Kong Club Med office sends out cards to Hong Kong Club Med members and encourage Hong Kong Club Med members to introduce friends and families to have holiday in CM. Both the friends (Mar and Apr 2005) and the CM member (valid till Apr 2006) can have HKD $800 discount.
=====================================================
FlyGirl
527 Posts
Jul
Ric,

The "friends and family" in the promotion you got is not the same thing that GOs have. That was a sale/promotion, much like the "7 day weekend" promotion where you pay for 3 days but get 7 days, that's going on now at certain villages. I think CM was just trying to get current GMs to help promote CM with "word of mouth" backed by a special promotional sale.

The "friends and family" for the GOs is a 30% discount on what the trip would cost, that the GO can offer to a friend or a family member. There is no time limit on it, other than the time of the visit must be during the time that the GO is working in that particular village.

- Lisa (a.k.a. FlyGirl)
davidloween
2 Posts
Jul

This website is fantastic -- you guys answered all my questions!
Here's a big thank you...
OK, so you say I need to go to the same club as the GO, I need to book land only, and I need to be able to travel at the last minute.
NO PROBLEM! In fact, I always book CM land only and last minute...
Oh, and I need to vouch for myself, that I won't embarrass the GO with oafish behavior. No problem there, too. I'm The Quiet Guy who sits in the lounge chair reading or sleeping, sails and plays tennis a little, and limits myself to one alcoholic drink a day. For me, CM is cooling out.
Too bad I've never invaded the GO's privacy enough (LOL) to get to be what I'd call good friends with them, so I'm at a loss there. Although last year, at a CM, I played poker with the husband of a GO and others.
But I only remember his first name.
So, if any GOs want to get in touch, I'll make it worth their while with $$$ or stuff brought free from the States, or whatever. A 30% discount would be a terrific thing with CMs prices rising so fast.
Ideally, I'd like to go to Turks or Bali or Bintan or Opio or Da Balaia anytime this summer, or Turks or Martinique anytime after Jan. 1.
Email me by cllicking my name.
(And thanks for the heads up on good deals available through the Honk Kong Club Med office for Asia CMs. That never would have occurred to me. I'll go check it out.
David Loween
[email protected]
Ric
520 Posts
Jul
Dear Flygirl,

Sorry, I make a mistake.

GOs are very nice and friendly. Every GO makes friends with GMs. Therefore many many GMs can get 30% off ?! Any quota for each GO, for example each year 5 families and 5 friends ?
tommyb061
157 Posts
Jul
You could become a travel agent and get %50 off or go free if you book enough guests. My last trip to Turks was $380 land only.

"Anybody got an extra yellow?"

© Club Med Planet - 2003-2024 - 4/24/2024 at 11:25:37 AM